none
Search Server 2010 Express - Cannot reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an issue with Search Server Express 2010.

It was installed a couple of years ago on a 2012 Standard member server.

This week I discovered the installation no longer works. Central Admin etc., simply errored out saying the site cannot be reached. I also noticed upgrade errors in the event log.  I ran the Sharepoint Configuration Wizard which appeared to upgrade the installation and reported that it had done so successfully, but the site was still not accessible.

I ran a repair installation which was successful. Restarted the server, but while the SSE entries were still present under Start, SSE had disappeared from 'Uninstall a program' in Control Panel. However, the site was still not accessible.

Ran the installer and checked the prerequisites - all OK. Ran SSE repair again, ran Windows Update - no updates available for SSE from Microsoft's site, but system updates available. Installed them and restarted.

Still unable to run SSE. Uninstalled SSE using the stand-alone installer. Restarted the server. Ran the prerequisite check = OK. Ran the installer to install SSE and it was unable to proceed due to a file name rename pending operation. Checked the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations and saw that two renames were pending. So I restarted the server again and the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key was not present after the server booted up again.

But! The installer throws another restart required message before installation can begin. I restarted the server again, ran the installer again, but see the same notification.

I made a change to the server two weeks ago when I removed the WSUS role because the updates consumed all the available disk space. I was unable to remove the update content through the recommended method - uninstall WID, because this server is also used to manage remote access (VPN), and remote access depended on WID. I manually deleted the contents (400GB) of the WsusContent folder. I doubt this was responsible for the issue with SSE, but include it just in case.

Can anyone help me with this, please.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:49 PM