Outlook not working right after updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with my outlook 2010 on Windows 7. A couple a months ago, there was some updates to Windows or Outlook and after that, my new e-mail notifications are not displayed "Top Most". I can hear them so the notifications work but if I have any window open, it will display under it. I can only see the notifications when on the Desktop.

The other issue after the same update is that I can't search by unread messages. All options under the search is gray and not selectable. In the same go, I need to hit enter always in the search and it takes forever for the search. 

I actually think it started when I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and it failed and rolled back the update.

Is there a way to get these features working without rolling back the updates one by one?

Thanks for your help

Monday, January 4, 2016 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does your Outlook display "Safe Mode" on the title bar? If so, it's probably that you have installed the December 8, 2015, update for Outlook 2010 (KB3114409). This KB update could cause Outlook 2010 to start only in safe mode, which results in the issues you described. To fix the issue, please install the following KB fix:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114560

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by ersu473 Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does your Outlook display "Safe Mode" on the title bar? If so, it's probably that you have installed the December 8, 2015, update for Outlook 2010 (KB3114409). This KB update could cause Outlook 2010 to start only in safe mode, which results in the issues you described. To fix the issue, please install the following KB fix:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114560

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Marked as answer by ersu473 Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 7:30 AM
  • Thank you Steve, that did the trick. It works perfectly now. 
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Glad to hear that! Please mark the reply as answer if it helps. This will help other community members who have the same issue to quickly find the answer.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 9:53 AM