none
Hybrid configuration wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are in the process of migrating to Exchange online.  Our current environment consists of an Exchange 2010 server (which hosts all client mailboxes) and a recently installed Exchange 2016 server.

We have successfully managed to transfer a mailbox to the Exchange 2016 and it is able to send/receive email

Our next port of call is to run the Hybrid configuration wizard, so that we can transfer mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Exchange online.

Before we make this step, I just wanted to clarify what will happen?

MY thoughts are that it will 

1) Recognize that we have 2 Exchange servers in our environment and configure send connectors on the exchange 2016 server?

2) Allow us to migrate a single test mailboxes from the Exchange 2016 server to Exchange online. 

3) Mailboxes that still exist on the Exchange 2010 will have their mail routed to exchange 2016 which will then be passed to Exchange online. Incoming email will be vice-vera.

Ultimately, we would like to be able to migrate a test mailbox to Office365 without disturbing mail-flow for the rest of the business

Hope you can help

Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:55 AM

Answers

• When you run the hybrid wizard on the Exchange server, it will select the Exchange server you are running it from. So, if you want the Exchange 2016 server to be the hybrid server, run it from that server. If you run the hybrid wizard from a workstation, I think you can select which you want.

After hybrid is setup you can migrate mailboxes in batches of 1 or more. So, yes, you can do a single mailbox.

You are correct for the mail routing. With full hybrid in place, there will be connectors configured for mail flow between Office 365 and the hybrid server. On the hybrid server (Exchange 2016) it will configure the Default Front End connector for mailflow with Office 365.

As a heads up, you don't need to migrate mailboxes to Exchange 2016 before moving them. The mailboxes can reside on Exchange 2010 and the hybrid server can pull them directly from there.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.ca)

Friday, April 5, 2019 6:22 PM
  • Are you saying that we would have to move ALL mailboxes to the new 2016 server before we can run the HCW? 

Hi Andrew,

Migrate all records to exchange 2016 instead of migrating mailboxes. In other words, let all mailboxes connect to exchange server through Exchange 2016 server instead exchange 2010 server.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by JayceYYY Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by AndrewE.E Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:15 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 1:27 AM

All replies

• Hi AndrewE.E,

Per my experience, in your on-premise Exchange 2010 and 2016 coexist environment, you need to migrate all records from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016, such as SCP and dns records etc, then check connection and mail flow. 

After migrating to Exchange 2016, you can run HCW(Hybrid configuration wizard) on Exchange 2016 server to deploy Hybrid, details steps can refer to:

Hybrid deployment prerequisites

Step-By-Step: Configuring a Hybrid Office 365 Deployment via Hybrid Deployment Wizard

Creating a Hybrid Configuration with Exchange and Office 365

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 5, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Thanks,

We've already configured the Exchange 2016 and moved a mailbox to the server. Email is flowing both internally and externally.

Are you saying that we would have to move ALL mailboxes to the new 2016 server before we can run the HCW?  I was hoping that I would be able to run this prior to migrating all mailboxes to the 2016 server?

Andrew

Friday, April 5, 2019 12:19 PM
  • When you run the hybrid wizard on the Exchange server, it will select the Exchange server you are running it from. So, if you want the Exchange 2016 server to be the hybrid server, run it from that server. If you run the hybrid wizard from a workstation, I think you can select which you want.

After hybrid is setup you can migrate mailboxes in batches of 1 or more. So, yes, you can do a single mailbox.

You are correct for the mail routing. With full hybrid in place, there will be connectors configured for mail flow between Office 365 and the hybrid server. On the hybrid server (Exchange 2016) it will configure the Default Front End connector for mailflow with Office 365.

As a heads up, you don't need to migrate mailboxes to Exchange 2016 before moving them. The mailboxes can reside on Exchange 2010 and the hybrid server can pull them directly from there.

Byron Wright (http://byronwright.blogspot.ca)

Friday, April 5, 2019 6:22 PM
  • Are you saying that we would have to move ALL mailboxes to the new 2016 server before we can run the HCW? 

Hi Andrew,

Migrate all records to exchange 2016 instead of migrating mailboxes. In other words, let all mailboxes connect to exchange server through Exchange 2016 server instead exchange 2010 server.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

• Proposed as answer by JayceYYY Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by AndrewE.E Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:15 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 1:27 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Thanks guys - it sounds like what i think will happen, should happen.

I will mark you both as answers and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

Andrew

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:16 PM