How does asynchronous notification process (new email notificaiton) work for Outlook Anywhere in Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• How does asynchronous notification process (new email notificaiton) work for Outlook Anywhere in Exchange 2010

How outlook anywhere running in cached mode (& rpc/http) gets notified about new email. Which service in CAS server takes care of this.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Of course, it's same for the Outlook with RCP/HTTP.

The 30 seconds is just a timer which is used to keep the Exchange synchronizing the data for the Outlook within the time. The process is as below:

When a notification is sent by the Exchange server, the timer starts. If another change occurs within a 30 seconds window, the timer restars. If no other changes occur before the timer expires, the data is forced synchronized to the Server.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by RakeshMishra Monday, March 21, 2011 2:23 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:03 AM

All replies

• New email notification is controlled within the client software.

In Outlook 2010 this is configured in: File\Options\Mail\Message Arrival

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:49 AM
  • How about outlook 2007 RPC/HTTP (Cached mode).
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:58 PM
  • There is very little document out there in public. Looking forward to see some details around this, any help is appreciated.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:36 PM
  • I guess what I'm saying is that this is a feature of the client and is not related to the connection to the server itself.  Outlook talks to Exchange via MAPI and when it sees a new message it is reported based on your client-side preferences.  Any documentation to this effect would be related to MAPI in general.

see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc840027.aspx (fnevNewMail)

What are you actually trying to accomplish?

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Friday, February 25, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I know that in exchange 2007 and earlier Outlook clients used to register to exchange using UDP for new email notifications and UDP support for the same was removed from Exchange 2010.

If outlook 2007/2010 mapi client registers with Store for email notification, then is it real time for Cached Outlook profile as well, or is there a specific interval when cached mode client would look for new emails. How does this actuall works in Exchange 2010.

Monday, February 28, 2011 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

For the asynchronous notification under Cached Mode, it's different from the Online Mode.

With Cached Mode, if a change is made to the data on the server, it notifies Outlook to synchronize the changes, changes on the server could occur if a new message was received or another client made a change to existing data. If changes are made to the local data, Outlook synchronizes those changes up to the server.

1, When a user makes a local change, a timer starts (Default is 15 seconds).

2, When Outlook is notified by the Exchange server of a change, a separate timer starts (Default is 30 seconds).

With Online Mode, the polling behaviour is initiated by the Outlook.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Thanks Allen. This is what I was looking for.

Can you please confirm if this behaviour is same for Outlook 2007 SP2 clients running in Cached mode but using RPC/HTTP feature in Exchange 2010 SP1.

Also, I did few test and find the new emails coming to mailboxes are being picked up by Outlook 2007 SP2 clients (running in Cached mode but using RPC/HTTP feature) in less 5 to 10 seconds. We have not modified any timer value on exchange (if default is 30 sconds). I am doing all this effort to know how it works because one of our user received an email first in his blackberry and it took 60 seconds to show up in outlook. We found that there wasn't any delay as far as exchange is concerned, but want to know the behaviour of clients, how and when they synchronize any change with the exchange store.

Friday, March 4, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Hi,

Of course, it's same for the Outlook with RCP/HTTP.

The 30 seconds is just a timer which is used to keep the Exchange synchronizing the data for the Outlook within the time. The process is as below:

When a notification is sent by the Exchange server, the timer starts. If another change occurs within a 30 seconds window, the timer restars. If no other changes occur before the timer expires, the data is forced synchronized to the Server.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by RakeshMishra Monday, March 21, 2011 2:23 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 6:03 AM