none
Conditional formatting based on the value of other cells

Question

• Hello,

I would like to ask a question on conditional formatting.

While it is easy in operation to do conditional formatting based on the value of cell itself, how to conditionally format a cell based on the value of other cells, for example, its neighboring cell in the next column of the same line?

Screenshot for the problem:

When I am trying to edit formula in “New Formatting Rule”, it appears that I could only use a formula containing the value of the current cell, but not a judgment based on the value of other cells. For example, I have a number of mail requests (their title are all stored in column A) and label in column B those replied as 1 and those not yet replied as 0. I would like to conditionally format column A to highlight those not yet replied message.

In conditional formatting, is it possible to do that?

Bob

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:13 AM

Answers

• Hi

Select the cells in column A, and click Conditional formattingg.

After selecting New Rule select the option "Use a formula to determine a cells format" enter the formula =$B1=0 (assuming you have headings and these are not in your selection in column A), define your format options and click OK.

Hope this helps.

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:47 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:22 AM

All replies

• Hi

Select the cells in column A, and click Conditional formattingg.

After selecting New Rule select the option "Use a formula to determine a cells format" enter the formula =$B1=0 (assuming you have headings and these are not in your selection in column A), define your format options and click OK.

Hope this helps.

G North MMI
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:47 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Dear G North,

That works. Thanks very much.

Bob

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 3:56 PM