none
share online excel workbook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

am going to share an excel 2013 workbook online, the users will work on this simultaneously and keep their updates in it from different locations. that means it can be saved anytime from any user from any location, maybe simultaneously. in <share workbook> option i've seen the option <editing> there is <remove user>. if there is <remove user> option so there must be the way from where we can <add user> which i dont know yet. My question is please suggest me the better way to do this practice. As i want this workbook to be  access by user wise login or by their user login.

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>> My question is please suggest me the better way to do this practice. As i want this workbook to be  access by user wise login or by their user login. <<
    If the Share workbook feature you mentioned above, refers to the feature showed in the picture below, then you can’t invite people to this workbook via this feature.

However, if you want this workbook used by multiple users, or use the co-authoring feature by inviting people with their name or e-mail address, you can use Invite People. It’s under file tab -> Share in Excel 2013:

Any update on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron .Zhang Friday, March 23, 2018 7:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sarcastic King Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:19 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Not all features are supproted in Excel online, please refer to this support article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Differences-between-using-a-workbook-in-the-browser-and-in-Excel-f0dc28ed-b85d-4e1d-be6d-5878005db3b6

You can open file in Excel desktop app, this is the same as open in online.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> My question is please suggest me the better way to do this practice. As i want this workbook to be  access by user wise login or by their user login. <<
    If the Share workbook feature you mentioned above, refers to the feature showed in the picture below, then you can’t invite people to this workbook via this feature.

However, if you want this workbook used by multiple users, or use the co-authoring feature by inviting people with their name or e-mail address, you can use Invite People. It’s under file tab -> Share in Excel 2013:

Any update on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

• Proposed as answer by Aaron .Zhang Friday, March 23, 2018 7:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sarcastic King Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:19 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

It has been a while since your last reply, any update on your side, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Monday, March 26, 2018 1:35 AM
  • Mr. Aaron,

I really appreciated your such a gracious support and thank you very much,

i've uploaded the said excel file on my OneDrive and when i shared the link to others it show the error which is : 

even it showing to me also when i am trying to open it from my OneDrive directly.

Please suggest me the solution.

Thank you!

Best Regards!

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

Not all features are supproted in Excel online, please refer to this support article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Differences-between-using-a-workbook-in-the-browser-and-in-Excel-f0dc28ed-b85d-4e1d-be6d-5878005db3b6

You can open file in Excel desktop app, this is the same as open in online.

Regards,

Emi

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:27 AM
  • Hi Emi,

so my main concern will be working or not? i need others to work and update the file simultaneously. will it work? as i've checked by myself that the changes i am making directly happening on my OneDrive space.

This has just happend to me now, i've excel file opened on my pc so that means am i not working on Excel Online because ive opened it on Office (Desktop)?

Please Guide. 

Thank you

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:58 AM