none
MyTenantOrganizationConfig error (still)

Question

• Context: Exchange 2010 SP3 (RU15) in hybrid deployment with Exchange Online (Office 365). I want to add Exchange 2016 CU3 to the environment. Imagine a scenario where we want to maintain a hybrid environment but sooner or later must migrate the on-prem servers to a later version of Exchange.

I overcame an initial obstacle as described in this post...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/3a99ee5f-1b69-4ec9-9cc2-dca35df430d7/exchange-2010-hybrid-env-upgrade-to-2016-impossible-getorganizationconfig-cannot-import?forum=Exch2016GD

But even after obtaining and adding the /MyTenantOrganizationConfig parameter, I still encounter this error when I attempt to run "setup /P /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms":

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3121439

Note: /P is a valid "alias"for PrepareAD. The "MyTenantOrganizationConfig" parameter will apparently not work with /PS (or PrepareSchema).

So the MS link states:

"If you continue to see this this message then it indicates that either the XML file specified is corrupt, or you are attempting to upgrade your on-premises Exchange installation to a build that isn't compatible with the Exchange version of your Office 365 tenant. Your Office 365 tenant must be upgraded to a compatible version of Exchange before upgrading your on-premises Exchange installation."

The .xml file was recently created and I can open it. I'm not sure if that is positive proof that it is not corrupt.

In the complete error message as well as the Exchange setup logs, there is a reference to this link...

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=262888

Which directs me here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn788775

Nothing very useful there.

This link is also referenced but no more useful than the first:

http://technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.DidTenantSettingCreatedAnException.aspx

The other possibility (other than the corrupt xml file) is that the Office 365 tenant is not compatible.

I do not see any obvious problems based on this article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh534377(v=exchg.160).aspx

Is it possible my tenant is not up-to-date?

I thought MS provided us with the latest version of Office 365 automatically and that there is nothing I need to do to upgrade my tenant?

Am I missing something?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:23 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

Sorry for the later response. Based on the discussion and research with my teammates, when we install the server in a hybrid environment, this error may happen.

To fix this issue we can disable the hybrid detection check. Please add the following registry key on the DC where you are running prepare schema command, (it’s recommended to run setup /prepareSchema on SchemaMaster or on a DC).

Path:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\Setup

Type: REG_SZ

Name: RunHybridDetection

Value: 1

If you cannot find the key path on the server, we need to create the keys, for example if Setup key is missing, you need to create this key, then create RunHybridDetection value. After adding this value, it’s better to reboot the server and try the prepare schema again it should pass the error.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:50 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry for the later response. Since I'm out of office those days. The value of the key is 1.

When the registry key is set go ahead and run your /prepareSchema.

If it still doesn't work, please post out the error message part of the setup log. Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:53 AM

All replies

• Just to cover all the bases, I re-exported the Tenant configuration information to the .xml once again and used that brand new file with the setup command. Same result.

And once again, I can open the .xml file and read the content which is perfectly intelligible.

So it does not seem likely that both those files are, somehow, corrupt. 

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:33 AM
  • Hi,

This is because the /PrepareSchema switch is valid only for schema operations. The /TenantOrganizationConfig switch is used with the /PrepareAD switch.

Please refer to below KB:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/3121439

It’s recommended to take the following article for you reference:

Exchange 2013 Schema Upgrade Error in Hybrid Environment with Office 365

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. And the changes made in the above blog is not supported officially by Microsoft.

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi Jason,

I'm using the /PrepareAD switch. As I stated in my first post:

"But even after obtaining and adding the /MyTenantOrganizationConfig parameter, I still encounter this error when I attempt to run "setup /P /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms":

Note: /P is a valid "alias" for PrepareAD. "

Monday, October 17, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Hi David,

The command that you indicated seems to be the right one.

The encountered error message narrowed this issue's cause down to two possibilities:

• Either the XML file specified is corrupt, or you are attempting to upgrade your on-premises Exchange installation to a build that isn't compatible with the Exchange version of your Office 365 Tenant.
    • Your Office 365 Tenant must be upgraded to a compatible version of Exchange before upgrading your on-premises Exchange installation.

1. You can checked your current Office 365 Tenant version with the following command:

Get-OrganizationConfig | FT AdminDisplayVersion, IsUpgradingOrganization

2. You can also try to obtain a second 'MyTenantOrganizationConfig.XML'

#CONNECT TO AZURE AD:

•  Import-Module MSOnline
    •  $Cred = Get-Credential
    •  Connect-MsolService -Credential $Cred

#CONNECT TO EXCHANGE ONLINE:

•  $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $Cred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
    • Import-PSSession $Session -DisableNameChecking -AllowClobber

Please check if you had PowerShell configured to have the Exchange Online cmdlets prepended by 'EXOL'. This meant changing 'Get-OrganizationConfig' to 'Get-EXOLOrganizationConfig'.

Get-EXOLOrganizationConfig | Export-CliXml -Path 'MyEXOLTenantOrganizationConfig.XML'

Then run the following commands:

• setup.exe /prepareAD /TenantOrganizationConfig:c:\MyTenantOrganizationConfig.XML /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
    • setup.exe/prepareSchema /TenantOrganizationConfig:c:\MyTenantOrganizationConfig.XML /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms
    • setup.exe /prepareAllDomains /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:06 AM
  • Jason,

Thank you for the additional information. I will try these steps as soon as possible.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Hi Jason,

I tried a third xml file, copied immediately after it was created and copied directly to the server that will become the new Exchange 2016 server.

The operation failed with the same error message.

3 corrupt xml files? That would be surprising.

---

Here is the result of the Get-OrganzationConfig command you suggested:

PS C:\> Get-OrganizationConfig | FL AdminDisplayVersion, IsUpgradingOrganization

AdminDisplayVersion     : 0.20 (15.1.707.6)
    IsUpgradingOrganization : False

NOTE: this is updated after a second attempt. Originally, nothing displayed (cmdlets not entered properly?).

---

I do not recall having PowerShell configured to have the Exchange Online cmdlets prepended by 'EXOL'

In any case, the cmdlets execute just fine without this prefix (and do indeed produce the required .xml file).

---

That is what I can report at this time.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Yes, it looks strange, have you check the event log any related events(any certificate related errors)?

How about running the following command allowed to upgrade the schema:

setup /prepareSchema /TenantOrganizationConfig:c:\MyTenantOrganizationConfig.XML /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

It should work with the OrganizationConfig file get from Exchange Online PowerShell, could you please try and check the results.

Thanks for your efforts.

BR.

Jason Chao

Friday, October 28, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Hi Jason,

That was the first command I tried but, strangely enough, the /TenantOrganizationConfig parameter is not compatible with the /prepareSchema parameter. You have to use /prepareAD:

I do not see any error messages related to the problem either.

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. I'll talk about this situation with my team and will update you asap.

BR.

Jason Chao

Thursday, November 03, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Hi Jason,

I've spent some time this week-end working on this problem with a fresh start and made some progress.

After carefully re-trying the commands you suggested above, I was able to obtain these results:

PS C:\> Get-OrganizationConfig | FL AdminDisplayVersion, IsUpgradingOrganization

AdminDisplayVersion     : 0.20 (15.1.707.6)
    IsUpgradingOrganization : False

However, I still encounter the same error when trying to extend the schema.

Hope that provides more information for you and your team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some other notes:

I was also able to run the following Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer (formerly ExRCA) tests successfully:

Office 365

- Office 365 Exchange Domain Name Server (DNS) Connectivity Test

Exchange Server

- Outlook Autodiscover

- Inbound SMTP Email

Currently, Outlook Anywhere is not enabled although I understand that I will have to enable it later (now?) when I install Exchange 2016 (for mailbox migration).

Sunday, November 06, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry for the later response. Based on the discussion and research with my teammates, when we install the server in a hybrid environment, this error may happen.

To fix this issue we can disable the hybrid detection check. Please add the following registry key on the DC where you are running prepare schema command, (it’s recommended to run setup /prepareSchema on SchemaMaster or on a DC).

Path:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15\Setup

Type: REG_SZ

Name: RunHybridDetection

Value: 1

If you cannot find the key path on the server, we need to create the keys, for example if Setup key is missing, you need to create this key, then create RunHybridDetection value. After adding this value, it’s better to reboot the server and try the prepare schema again it should pass the error.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:50 PM
  • Thanks so much. Will try and report back.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016 8:31 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Is this correct?

1. Should that really be REG_SZ?

2. If we want to disable the hybrid detection, would that not be 0?

In any case, I have the same error.

EDIT:

I tried to run setup /prepareAD (etc.) on the Exchange server and then on the domain controller /schema master itself. I make no progress at all:

"An unsupported operating system was detected. Exchange Server Mailbox and Edge Transport server roles support Windows 2012 or later".

The schema master is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (which is a supported domain controller version according to the Exchange 2016 supportability matrix).

So...

Should I add the registry keys on the Exchange server - and then re-run setup prepareAD?

Would you like the Exchange setup logs?

They do reference the registry location you mention above but do not find it. This is apparently expected:

"Expected failure for roles: the Registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v15, wasn't found."

Sunday, November 13, 2016 11:11 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Any ideas?

On another forum, someone else claimed they encountered the same error with CU3 (but never responded to confirm it worked with CU2). I've tried CU2 as well (I may have already said that) but it failed (same error message).

So...

1. Should the registry entry actually be REG_SZ? I would have thought this would be DWORD but... who knows?

2. 0 or 1? Could you confirm?

3. It looks like I'll have to run setup prepareAD on the (future) Exchange server since the command will not run on the Windows 2008 R2 schema master.

EDIT - my offer to send you the Exchange setup logs is still good. I renamed the folder so you'd only have the data for the last attempt to shift through (or analyze, if you prefer).

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:41 PM
  • Since I wasn't always able to try various suggestions right away myself, I didn't want to be impatient. On the other hand, it's been over a week since my last reponse so I'm granting myself a "bump".

If there are no answers to my latest questions, I'll have to attempt to suppress hybrid detection by trial and error.

I'm hoping that disabling this detection does not have adverse effects later on. It seems like I'm in uncharted territory here.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 28, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry for the later response. Since I'm out of office those days. The value of the key is 1.

When the registry key is set go ahead and run your /prepareSchema.

If it still doesn't work, please post out the error message part of the setup log. Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:53 AM
  • It worked when I ran setup on the (future) Exchange 2016 server.

- Registry edit made on the (future) Exchange server itself.

- REG_SZ

- RunHybridDetection with value of 1

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:27 AM
  • You're welcome!

Regards,

Jason Chao

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:45 AM