none
What the heck are all these .onebin files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a SharePoint 2010 document library with numerous subfolders, containing lots of Office 2010 documents. We use this document library to store customer information and to track issues. Many of these subfolders contain OneNote 2010 notebooks which are frequently updated. Technicians go onsite and link to these notebooks using the full OneNote client from their laptops (or via Office Web Apps) as they travel from site to site.   If we install a new piece of software at a customer site, for example, we capture the configuration using a series of screenshots and sync with the hosted notebook. Works like a champ.

But I've noticed a lot of extra files at the root of the document library:

The files have an extension of .ONEBIN, which I googled and learned very little. If you click on any of these files you discover that they are mostly embedded images, screenshots pasted into various notebooks.

My theory is that normally OneNote would store this file under its own hidden subfolder, but in this case where subfolders already exist, the OneNote client isn't smart enough to determine which subfolder a notebook is stored in, so it puts the binaries at the root of the doc library and links to it from there.

Also, the document library is tracking Major versions, which might also be a factor.  I thought I read somewhere that OneNote didn't get along with versioning, but can't remember where I saw it.

Everything is working and this isn't an emergency, but it's confusing to open a doc lib and see all those GUIDs. Is there anything I can do about this? Or, is there a view I can create to filter out all the .Onebin files?

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• Five years later and this post is still getting replies?  Wow!

I've had a lot of time to work on this, so now I think this is a bug in SharePoint 2010 and the OneNote program itself.  A OneNote notebook is not a file, but a folder structure that SharePoint presents as a file.  When you add images or attachments to a notebook, normally these binaries would be stored in the notebook's folder, but OneNote is not smart enough to do this when the notebook is stored in a subfolder of a document library.  So it puts all the OneBin files at the root of the library.  The OneBin files are linked properly from the notebook, but they aren't hidden from view as they'd normally be. 

The workaround is to create notebooks at the root of the library; then everything works as expected.

In SharePoint 2013 this problem appears to have been resolved.

• Marked as answer by poortatey Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:42 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:42 PM

All replies

• Please check this blog

http://dotnetmafia.sys-con.com/node/1835977/blog

Amrita Talreja
    • Edited by Amrita Talreja Monday, August 15, 2011 9:01 AM update
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, August 26, 2011 3:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by poortatey Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:35 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:00 AM
  • I noticed the same behavior. Did you find a solution to that ?

Thanks,

Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:54 AM
  • I'm also having this same problem, and there is next to no information about onebin files on the internet - only this thread.  The solution by Amrita is NOT a solution by any means.  We're having this problem in multiple document libraries with multiple users.  Does no one else use OneNote on SharePoint or something?  Heck, even an official explanation about what these files are and if they are okay to delete would be nice.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Install the hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597939 on the client PC. That is the machine that is running OneNote.exe 2010 desktop application. Not the SharePoint server. I've seen this resolve the same issue but in my case it was saving to a SharePoint Online hosted site. Should resolve the issue though with SharePoint on-premise also.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Install the hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2597939 on the client PC. That is the machine that is running OneNote.exe 2010 desktop application. Not the SharePoint server. I've seen this resolve the same issue but in my case it was saving to a SharePoint Online hosted site. Should resolve the issue though with SharePoint on-premise also.
    This is referring to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010, our users don't have that installed yet those files got generated on their end from OneNote 2010 client (confirmed by the Modified By column on SharePoint outlining the culprit users)
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:57 PM
  • The files gets created by OneNote, but they should be in a hidden subdirectory.

They get moved by Sharepoint Workspaces.

All you need is one user who uses Sharepoint Workspaces against that document library... that user need the patch applied.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Have same isue, on x64, tried with the patch, but it says that there is no Programs installed on this pc that wil be affected by this patch. it is an office 2010 pro plus (office365), and workspace is setup?

This pc is not the user for the One Note files but can see them.

/Allan Tjepp

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Sorry .. was to fast.. the office pro is a 32 bit, so the patch installed ok, but the files are still there after sync?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Any other updates on this issue? Even though this post is from June/July there is still not much out there in regards to this issue. I applied the hotfix and removed the OneNote libraries from my workspace, then re-added. I still have all of those .onebin files in my root dir.

It does not seem to break functionality, but is annoying when browsing, especially on our phones!!!

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi poortaty,

try this one. It´s German but I think it´s gonna help anyway. http://bit.ly/SYFx8X

Kind regards

Karsten

Monday, November 19, 2012 1:39 PM
  • You can find useful information about .onebin file format here: http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/101739/what-is-the-onebin-file-in-onenote-2013-cache-folder?noredirect=1&lq=1

Thursday, January 5, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Five years later and this post is still getting replies?  Wow!

I've had a lot of time to work on this, so now I think this is a bug in SharePoint 2010 and the OneNote program itself.  A OneNote notebook is not a file, but a folder structure that SharePoint presents as a file.  When you add images or attachments to a notebook, normally these binaries would be stored in the notebook's folder, but OneNote is not smart enough to do this when the notebook is stored in a subfolder of a document library.  So it puts all the OneBin files at the root of the library.  The OneBin files are linked properly from the notebook, but they aren't hidden from view as they'd normally be. 

The workaround is to create notebooks at the root of the library; then everything works as expected.

In SharePoint 2013 this problem appears to have been resolved.

• Marked as answer by poortatey Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:42 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:42 PM