none
Document Library Way Over Threshold Limit

Question

• Hey SharePoint Fam,

I have a document library that currently has 294050 items.  I currently have our threshold limit set to 20000.  Currently I am unable to access any of the documents in this library at all when I try to open the Explorer view.  I am sure in the future someone may request a document and was just wondering if there is anything I can do to allow me to view all documents loaded or did I mess up before starting this library and not set something up properly.  Just nervous I won't be able to access all these documents that are being scanned in daily.  I have actual default view set to show data from today and 7 days previous but not able to see any documents after that period.

Thanks N Advance For Any Help.

Friday, November 9, 2018 3:11 PM

Answers

• As Trevor said, Explorer view will not work unless you change LVT setting (Performance impact).

You could create multiple views and filter based on period or any column filtering to access documents.

Thanks,
    Abhilash

• Marked as answer by 41global Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:58 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2018 5:24 PM
  • Simply put, you won't be able to use Explorer View when you're above LVT regardless of how you configure the library/views.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:05 PM

All replies

• Explorer view will simply not work unless you put the LVT > number of items in the library. This may cause significant performance impacts when you put the LVT above 5K, though the impact gets worse as you increase the LVT.

You can turn off the LVT on a per-library basis using EnableThrottling = $false in PowerShell. Again, this may cause significant performance impacts.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, November 9, 2018 3:45 PM
  • As Trevor said, Explorer view will not work unless you change LVT setting (Performance impact).

You could create multiple views and filter based on period or any column filtering to access documents.

Thanks,
    Abhilash

Friday, November 9, 2018 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. 

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

Best regards,

Linda 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 11:15 AM
  • Thanks for feedback, I created a simple new view/filter to only show documents loaded today which is only 50 currently and went to explorer view and it still shows nothing in explorer view.....Am I missing another setting somewhere?  If this view/filter idea works that will be the easy fix for me to just put in specific dates when requested for old loaded documents.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Simply put, you won't be able to use Explorer View when you're above LVT regardless of how you configure the library/views.

Trevor Seward

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:05 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback
    Tuesday, November 13, 2018 4:58 PM