none
importing from .pst more than once because of fixing corruption--- eating up mailbox disk space but no dupes. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a new mail user that needs their .pst imported from their previous company.

I created a new mailbox, then imported the .PST using new-mailboximportrequest

it failed on 90%.

I repaired the file, tried a re-import and it failed at 98%, but i noticed the mailbox had grown almost double in size.

What switches do i need to ensure i don't get data duplication/creating double//triple the space?

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:36 PM

All replies

• So what error message did you get in the second time?

Please run the following command to get details of the import request:

Get-MailboxImportRequest <mailbox_name> | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatistics | fl 

As per my experience, if the import process failed on almost 100%, it is usually caused by some bad items or individual large item.

We could check if some large items exists in the original mailbox. Anyway, try increasing the limit of those parameters and see if it helps.

For example:

New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox "<Name>" -BadItemLimit 1000 -AcceptLargeDataLoss -FilePath \\server\folder\filename.pst -LargeItemLimit 100

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:28 AM
  • I will try adding the largeitemlimit switch (thank you), but I am wondering why the additional space adding the mailbox (double, tripling the size sinc ei have imported three times now. ) I don't see extra contacts (duplicates). I dont see extra/duplicate mail items.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:11 PM
  • I will try adding the largeitemlimit switch (thank you), but I am wondering why the additional space adding the mailbox (double, tripling the size sinc ei have imported three times now. ) I don't see extra contacts (duplicates). I dont see extra/duplicate mail items.

Possibly you export mailbox content to the same file each time. Change the file name when you create a new exporting request.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 23, 2019 9:50 AM