none
SharePoint Extranet/Remote Access to our SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so as stated in my previous threads... I am very new to SharePoint, but am a quick learner and the site creations and editting is coming pretty easy.  I have a few more days left to prove I can effectively build the SharePoint site for where I am working.  Don't think that will be a problem, though I am also encouraged to learn server side stuff and all the technical stuff.

When I first got here on Friday, it was said that logging in to SharePoint remotely was possible but cumbersome I guess.  What is the best way to setup remote access for employees?  And what settings and what not should I look up that may already be setup?

Thanks ahead of time :)

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:07 PM

Answers

• Well I know how to make Sharepoint groups and all that.  And it seems to me that using the Active Directory groups would waste more time in having to go to AD to add users and all that.  I think I am going to leave the groups set up in AD, but remove all the people from them so I can custom build groups for each department and the main site...  sound good ? :)
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, January 13, 2012 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:26 PM

All replies

• Remote access for SharePoint is in the end fairly simple. All you have to do, if you want to publish SharePoint for your users externally is to correctly configure alternate access mappings, and publish SharePoint with some firewall, ideally Threat Management Gateway 2010/Unified Access Gateway 2010. Those two hase builtin publishing rules, which will make this deployment very easy.

http://donalconlon.wordpress.com/2009/12/06/home-networking-configuring-forefront-tmg-for-web-and-sharepoint-publishing/

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263208(office.12).aspx

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:28 PM
  • When I log in to the server, I don't see either of those listed in the Programs or Admin Tools... Could they be listed somewhere else or could they have some other Remote Access working?  I would ask one of them if they were around to show me how they log in remotely, but they are gone at the moment.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Those are usually installed on a separate server. SharePoint is running on a domain computer, and in general it is not a good idea to assign direct access (public IP) to your domain machine. What kind of network firewall are you using? You need to "depends on your enviroment how" publish SharePoint to internet, and of course configure external DNS server records to point to your enviroment.
    Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I just had some stuff typed out and pressed VOTE AS HELPFUL before I pressed submit.. grr

Ok, so the firewall I do believe is a Cisco ASA 5505.  I am way out of the loop as far as server setups and the technical aspects, been in the graphic design world for a while now and only touched on basics years ago with servers, though I do understand alot of the basics.

I also have a good friend that has a virtual machine and a bunch of Microsoft Certifications that I will probably be driving down and hanging out with this weekend to get some hands on technical help, but trying to get any bits of knowledge I can from all you helpful people on here :) 

I do not have the password for the firewall as of yet.  But any other basic info on how to set it up for remote access or the best plan moving forward would be great.  Thanks!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Also, if you could answer another question :)  In site permissions of SharePoint...  It is pulling 3 default user groups for Active Directory, sbs sharepoint_ownersgroup, members, and visitors is that the best practice or should I just remove those from the sharepoint site and build the groups from within sharepoint?
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Below article will help you setup external access in case of isa server.

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/TMG-Back-Basics-Part7.html

In terms of groups, you are better off using the defaults if you have just started. 

Thanks,
    Sahil 

Sahil
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Well I know how to make Sharepoint groups and all that.  And it seems to me that using the Active Directory groups would waste more time in having to go to AD to add users and all that.  I think I am going to leave the groups set up in AD, but remove all the people from them so I can custom build groups for each department and the main site...  sound good ? :)
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, January 13, 2012 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:26 PM