none
Guest Server losing connectivity

Question

• Hello,<o:p></o:p>

We have a 2012 R2 Hyper-V Host server which also acts as a domain controller.  There is a Hyper V guest on this host which is also a 2012 R2 file\applicatoin server.  Recently it has started to lose connectivity and no one can access to guest server shares, etc.  It happens every couple weeks.  When it happens I can remote into the host no problem but cannot access the internet or any other connectivity from within the guest server.  <o:p></o:p>

After I restart the host server connectivity is restored.  I cannot find any tell tale signs within the event viewer.  It seems like it is related to the virtualization networking but am having trouble troubleshooting this.<o:p></o:p>

There are two NICs on the server.  One is dedicated to the Host\Domain controller.  The other dedicated to a virtual switch that is used only by the one problematic Guest server.<o:p></o:p>

Any ideas or thoughts?<o:p></o:p>

Much Appreciated, <o:p></o:p>

Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:09 AM

All replies

• Two problems; hyper-v role should be the only role you install on host. Multi-homing a domain controller will cause no end to grief and confusion for active directory DNS. Remove the active directory roles from host and stand up a new guest to host active directory domain services.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:13 AM
  • The AD host is not having issues however.  It is the guest.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:24 AM
  • It does not matter. Active directory DNS is in a state of confusion that affects all domain members. The host can be a domain member but should never be a domain controller.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:47 AM
  • I can't even ping.  It is not related to DNS.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:46 AM
  • I can't even ping.  It is not related to DNS.

The simplest domain test lab would be hyper-v role only on host, create a single external vSwitch shared with host, create two VM guests connected to same vSwitch, install active directory domain services on one, join domain with the other. In this setup all would have internet.

The current setup, as you have found, is not stable.

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:39 PM
  • I am in complete agreement with Dave - never mix Domain Controller and Hyper-V on the same host installation.  I don't even know if that is supported - I think I have read of issues with that configuration, but I can't find an example right now.

As to losing connectivity to the guest, make sure that the NIC used for the virtual switch does not have any power management enabled.  The NIC needs to be configured for full power all the time.

tim

Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:03 AM