none
Logging file size estimation for Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I was wondering what the logging file size estimation for a year would be for a 2016 Exchange server with 300 Mailboxes and around maybe 50 Messages per user a day. With high times being 8-4 With maybe 70 or so users being very active, I wouldn't say all 300 users send the 50 per day maybe just the 70 highly active. We have some users that may send twice a week, any who I am moving from Exchange 2010 fairly soon. With two servers in the DAG and 5 DB's in the server, my CIO wants to know if we could supply the server with the storage to hold our log files for a year. While the excel sheet that calculates is useful it only shows storage of logs per Server, DAG, Environment not per day, week, month, year total unless there is a field I am overlooking.

Thanks!  

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hello all,

I was wondering what the logging file size estimation for a year would be for a 2016 Exchange server with 300 Mailboxes and around maybe 50 Messages per user a day. With high times being 8-4 With maybe 70 or so users being very active, I wouldn't say all 300 users send the 50 per day maybe just the 70 highly active. We have some users that may send twice a week, any who I am moving from Exchange 2010 fairly soon. With two servers in the DAG and 5 DB's in the server, my CIO wants to know if we could supply the server with the storage to hold our log files for a year. While the excel sheet that calculates is useful it only shows storage of logs per Server, DAG, Environment not per day, week, month, year total unless there is a field I am overlooking.

Thanks!  

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/Analyzing-Exchange-Transaction-Log-Generation-Statistics/ba-p/606394

Use this as a start and extrapolate from there and then get more storage then you need for any possible growth

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hello all,

Thanks!  

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/Analyzing-Exchange-Transaction-Log-Generation-Statistics/ba-p/606394

Use this as a start and extrapolate from there and then get more storage then you need for any possible growth

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

Did you check the script provided by Andy?

Hope this script can be helpful to you. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 2, 2019 1:38 AM
  • I think I am good, going with a 4DB Node with 400gb on each drive. This should split 64gb of MBX data per drive give or take thanks to the alphabet split lol. Leaving room for growth and log files, this is also part of a 2 DAG Exchange set up.
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:07 PM