none
Retention settings vs retention tags/policies RRS feed

• Question

• Hi IT-Experts,

i have a (maybe) simple question regarding to retention tags, policies and settings, where i didnt find a solution yet.

I came up with the "problem", when i was recovering deleted e-mails with the Outlook-client. It seemed that there were to many objects, because i configured a retention tag, that should delete objects after 14 days permanently:

Of course i allocated this retention tag to a retention policy, which i allocated to my (all) mailboxes:

After some search, i found another configuration for keeping deleted items -> in Mailbox usage:

The last object i could recover from my deleted object was 90 days old, so the configuration in mailbox usage is applied.

So my question is: why is the retention setting in mailbox usage the applied one? Why is there a retention tag for deleted objects, when it doesnt get applied? What am i doing wrong? 

Thank you, for your answer.

With kind regards
    Sebastian Pohl
    (Germany)

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:55 AM

All replies

• A retention policy is essentially a collection of retention policy tags you apply to mailboxes.  I can't tell you why a policy would or wouldn't take effect without seeing the tags in the policy.

This topic is rather confusing.  It took me several times of reading through it to understand it, and to this day, I routinely have to go back to the documentation when I have questions about it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297955%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:02 PM