Lync 2013, office 365 proplus and Federation no presences RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Lync 2013 servers and recently set up federation with our new sister company.  We could see their presence and they could see ours with no issues.  Now we are upgrading to Office 365 Proplus and after I set up the domain on the office portal the presence stopped working. We are only using the Office 365 Proplus for the software and not the online features, so many of the DNS entries I can not change as that would break our Mobile LYNC 2013 apps.  I have set federation on our LYNC server to Lynconline allowed. Does anyone have any direction I can go to bring back the presences of other companies?
    Monday, November 23, 2015 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi

Ok, so your side have moved from Pro Plus on KMS / MAK activation to C2R from Office 365, but retained your on-prem Lync deployment? Your sister company has no changes and were using Lync Online IM&P before and after the change to your environment?

In your environment, all your internal DNS points to your internal servers? All external DNS points to your edges and reverse proxy?

Have you tried to remove the users SIP profile on their machine and force sign in again just incase it is a outdated address book cache?

If you run federation tests from your edge servers to Office 365, are there any errors?

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi

if you were using for pro plus only, then you shouldn't need to update any dns records. are both sites using lync on prem? or is one now in office 365?

make sure that _sipfederationtls._tcp.domain.com is pointing to your on-prem lync edge servers on both sides as well as _sip._tls.domain.com

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Monday, November 23, 2015 4:36 PM
  • Mark, thanks for the quick reply. Only my side uses LYNC on-prem. At this time our sister company uses LYNC Office 365 for IM and presence only.  I did check and I have the  _sipfederationtls._tcp.domain.com set. I found it strange that it stopped working after I set up the office portal since I did not make the DNS changes for LYNC.

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

From your description above, you just change the Lync client to Office 365 but without any change for Lync Server side.

If it is the case, then there should work without issue. Please make sure Office 365 update to the latest version.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:25 AM
  • Hi

Ok, so your side have moved from Pro Plus on KMS / MAK activation to C2R from Office 365, but retained your on-prem Lync deployment? Your sister company has no changes and were using Lync Online IM&P before and after the change to your environment?

In your environment, all your internal DNS points to your internal servers? All external DNS points to your edges and reverse proxy?

Have you tried to remove the users SIP profile on their machine and force sign in again just incase it is a outdated address book cache?

If you run federation tests from your edge servers to Office 365, are there any errors?

thanks

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Eason, thank you for responding. Yes, we only updated the client not the server.  We have the client set to auto-update.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Mark, we started with Office 2013 MAK and are switching to Office 365 Proplus.  You are correct about our sister company.  I verified that our internal and external DNS are correct.  Also people who have not been updated yet can not see the presence of our sister company.  I will run the federation test and post the results.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Found out what the issue was. Sister company had an outdated cert that they has missed. Thanks Mark for all your help
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:17 PM