none
SP Library Content approval default value RRS feed

• Question

• I have a library with content approval enabled, and the approval status column which is visible in the view always has value as 'Approved', even as soon as the document is uploaded. When there is no workflow or even when there is workflow the default values is 'Approved', shouldn't it be blank or pending?

Thanks

Paru

Paru

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Paru- we need more information. I assume this isn't a built-in workflow, rather a Designer one? If so, you should be in a different forum. That said, if it is a custom workflow, please provide your workflow details so we can see what's wrong.

cameron rautmann

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:56 PM
  • Hi Paru,

Content Approval is different with approval workflow.

If someone submits an item to a list/library that requires approvals, it is in Pending status until someone (who has at least Manage Lists permissions level) approves it. While it is awaiting approval, it remains in Pending status. Any items that already exist in the list/library are granted Approved status automatically.

After enabling Content Approval, please submit a new item and compare the results.

If both major and minor versions are being tracked, the author must publish a major version before the file can be submitted for approval. After publishing the draft, the content approval status will change to pending. When content approval is required, people who have permission to read content but do not have permission to see draft items will see the last approved or major version of the file.

Please ensure the user account you are using has proper permissions.

Read the following article to learn more about Content Approval on SharePoint:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Require-approval-of-items-in-a-site-list-or-library-cd0761c4-8c3f-4ea2-9435-13c28aa23d08

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 6:46 AM
  • HI Cameron

this is an OOTB approval workflow which i have created from the workflow setting in the library.

What other details can i provide/

Thanks

Paru

Paru

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Hi Linda

Thanks for you reply, i am using the admin account to check this, i am uploading the docs in the library and status by default says 'Approved', i have no ideas why this is happening, no draft status or pending status are there for any document.

Regards

Paru

Paru

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:26 AM
  • This seems obvious, but how do you have your versions set up? Do you have any? Also, do you have any approvers in the approver group?

cameron rautmann

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:58 PM
  • Hi Cameron

Below are my library settings, anything that should be changed?

Thanks

Paru

Paru

• Edited by Paru Upreti Friday, December 1, 2017 12:00 PM
    Friday, December 1, 2017 11:58 AM
  • You should keep draft versions, too. That way they'll be in draft state until approved/published. Again, do you have any approvers in the approver group?

cameron rautmann

Friday, December 1, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Hi Paru,

Does this issue occur on other library?

Test it in another library or in another site collection, another web application to narrow down the issue.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 4, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Hi Linda

I tried it in new library and new site collection it behaves the same and it has same settings. :(

Thanks

Paru

Paru

Monday, December 4, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Hi Paru,

Will the status be changed to “Pending” after editing the properties?

Check the ULS once uploading new file or editing the properties/content, try to find out what is failing.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:36 AM
  • Thanks Linda, i will check this, it is happening for other site collection and tenant also, maybe something wrong with SP Online settings?

Paru

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 12:45 PM