none
Visio 2019 Freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I have an issue where Visio seems to frequently freeze for a few seconds at a time. It happens when opening a file, and then when trying to do basic things like copying a shape. Visio is essentially unusable.

I have tried in Safe Mode, same thing happens.

I don't have the option to repair the install, just uninstall.

This is version 2019 (16.0.11929.20144) 64 bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is there any error code or message when Visio 2019 freezes? 

Please make sure your hardware drivers are up-to-date. If updating your drivers doesn’t resolve the issue, we can try this method to check if it’s helpful by clicking File > Options > Advanced > Disable hardware graphics acceleration.

A corrupt temporary file may cause Visio to freeze or crash. You can open File Explorer and go to %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio. Back up these corrupt temporary files. Try to remove them and check for issue in Visio.

Recently, some users reported that their Visio was freezing if hardware keyboard word predictions was enabled in Windows 10 version 1903. If you are using Windows 10 version 1903, please turn "Show Text suggestions as I type" off: Settings > Devices > Typing > Hardware Keyboard> disable Show text suggestions as I type.

You can also log in your computer with other Windows user accounts to check for the issue.

Some third-party software may be interfering with your Visio. A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. You can perform a clean boot in Windows to narrow down.

If you have any updates or anything unclear, feel free to post back to tell us. I'll be glad to follow up to help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Marked as answer by Testing72 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error code or message when Visio 2019 freezes? 

Please make sure your hardware drivers are up-to-date. If updating your drivers doesn’t resolve the issue, we can try this method to check if it’s helpful by clicking File > Options > Advanced > Disable hardware graphics acceleration.

A corrupt temporary file may cause Visio to freeze or crash. You can open File Explorer and go to %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Visio. Back up these corrupt temporary files. Try to remove them and check for issue in Visio.

Recently, some users reported that their Visio was freezing if hardware keyboard word predictions was enabled in Windows 10 version 1903. If you are using Windows 10 version 1903, please turn "Show Text suggestions as I type" off: Settings > Devices > Typing > Hardware Keyboard> disable Show text suggestions as I type.

You can also log in your computer with other Windows user accounts to check for the issue.

Some third-party software may be interfering with your Visio. A “clean boot” starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. You can perform a clean boot in Windows to narrow down.

If you have any updates or anything unclear, feel free to post back to tell us. I'll be glad to follow up to help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

• Marked as answer by Testing72 Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 2:49 AM
  • I do have text suggestions enabled, so that seems the likely cause. Thanks for the comprehensive answer!
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 6:16 AM