Skype for Business Server 2019 Standard Edition Pool Pairing Installation & Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am installing a test environment before starts with production. I need to deploy enterprise voice with SFB SE. I am planning to install 2 SE servers which will be in a pool pair.

I have done the installation as follows:

1) both the service are added to the domain.

2) Pre-requisites are installed on both the servers (used powershell).

3) Installed Administration Tolls on both the Servers (optionally on second server)

4) Prepare AD from the primary server(or the first server)

5) Prepare both the systems for First Standard Edition so that it will install SQL Xpress.

6) Configure a file share ( I am using the same file share for the both the servers as they will be at the same site. And it will be a normal file share not DFS).

7) Prepare the topology which has the following:

a. SE01.lab.com as the first SE server

b. SE02.lab.com as the second SE server in the same site

c. Primary CMS is in SE01.lab.com

8) Internal and external URL for SE01 is se01.lab.com

9) Internal and external URL for SE02 is se02.lab.com

10) Admin URL is  htpps://admin.lab.com

11) Publish the topology

12) Install the skype for business on both the servers

13) Re-run topology builder and add resiliency for SE servers.

14) Publish the topology.

15) Re-run the deployment wizard to install the backup service on both the servers

16) Start the services

17) Check the fail over.

Kindly confirm it is the correct flow or not.

Thank you all

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 6:12 AM

Answers

• Hi AbduIRasheed1984,

In general, the process you mentioned is perfect. However, there are some omissions worth noting.

It needs to add some DNS records for each SE server. The following table lists the various Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN) which must be manually created for a Standard Edition server deployment.

After preparing First Standard Edition Server (step 5), you need to add the domain Administrator account as a member to the domain security groups CsAdministrator and RTCUniversalServerAdmins.

After finishing deploy Skype for Business server (step 12), you need to create default server certificate and OAUTH certificate.

For more details about how to deploy Standard Edition server, you can read these two articles which give detailed steps:

http://blog.schertz.name/2015/06/sfb2015deploy1/

http://blog.schertz.name/2015/06/sfb2015deploy2/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi AbduIRasheed1984,

In general, the process you mentioned is perfect. However, there are some omissions worth noting.

It needs to add some DNS records for each SE server. The following table lists the various Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN) which must be manually created for a Standard Edition server deployment.

After preparing First Standard Edition Server (step 5), you need to add the domain Administrator account as a member to the domain security groups CsAdministrator and RTCUniversalServerAdmins.

After finishing deploy Skype for Business server (step 12), you need to create default server certificate and OAUTH certificate.

For more details about how to deploy Standard Edition server, you can read these two articles which give detailed steps:

http://blog.schertz.name/2015/06/sfb2015deploy1/

http://blog.schertz.name/2015/06/sfb2015deploy2/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:27 AM
  • Hi AbduIRasheed1984,

Do you have any further issue on this topic?

Meanwhile, if there is no issue, please remember to mark helpful reply as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Sharon Zhao

Friday, March 6, 2020 9:11 AM
  • Hello Sharon,

Thanks a lot.

I have followed the steps which I mentioned above and the deployment and test was successful. I will post few other questions and concerns in the future. Hope team can help me that. 

Sunday, March 8, 2020 5:07 AM
  • Thank you, perfect answer
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 6:43 PM