none
Import DHCP leases fails. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to migrate DHCP from 2008 R2 to a new Server 2012 DHCP server.

I'm following the steps in the following TeamDHCP article.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2012/09/11/migrating-existing-dhcp-server-deployment-to-windows-server-2012-dhcp-failover.aspx

The problem I'm having is with the import of existing leases.

Once the config and leases are exported from the current server, I'm running running the following command to import the server config, and one of the scopes initially:

Import-DhcpServer –ComputerName <New DHCP server> -Leases –File C:\dhcp\export\dhcpexp.xml -BackupPath C:\dhcp\backup\ -Verbose -ScopeId 10.3.37.0

The command imports all data successfully, including reservations, but does not import the active leases.

The following error is returned upon attempting to import each active lease.

Import-DhcpServer : Failed to add IP address lease for 10.3.37.x on server <servername>. : The

remote procedure call failed. (1726)

At line:1 char:1
    + Import-DhcpServer -ComputerName <servername> -Leases -Fil ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (10.3.37.11:root/Microsoft/...cpServerv4Lease) [Import-DhcpServer], CimExc
       eption
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WIN32 1726,Import-DhcpServer
    Import-DhcpServer : Failed to add IP address lease for 10.3.37.12 on server <servername> :
    There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. (1753)

The error occurs when the new DHCP is authorised or unauthorised, with bindings enabled or disabled.

I've left the server authorised and ensured the DHCP server object has replicated throughout the forest, and is present in ADSIEdit, and then tried the scope import again. Same error.

Can anyone assist with this please?

Regards

Matt

Matt

Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Specific root causes for the 1753 error include:

1. The server app never started (i.e. Step #1 in the "more information" diagram located above was never attempted).
    2. The server app started but there was some failure during initialization that prevented it from registering with the RPC Endpoint Mapper (i.e. Step #1 in the "more information" diagram above was attempted but failed).
    3. The server app started but subsequently died. (i.e. Step #1 in the "more information" diagram above was completed successfully, but was undone later because the server died).
    4. The server app manually unregistered its endpoints (similar to 3 but intentional. Not likely but included for completeness.)
    5. The RPC client (destination DC) contacted a different RPC server than the intended one due to a Name to IP mapping error in DNS, WINS or host/Lmhosts file.

For more information and resolutions please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/replication-error-1753-there-are-no-more-endpoints-available-from-the-endpoint-mapper(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Specific root causes for the 1753 error include:

1. The server app never started (i.e. Step #1 in the "more information" diagram located above was never attempted).
    2. The server app started but there was some failure during initialization that prevented it from registering with the RPC Endpoint Mapper (i.e. Step #1 in the "more information" diagram above was attempted but failed).
    3. The server app started but subsequently died. (i.e. Step #1 in the "more information" diagram above was completed successfully, but was undone later because the server died).
    4. The server app manually unregistered its endpoints (similar to 3 but intentional. Not likely but included for completeness.)
    5. The RPC client (destination DC) contacted a different RPC server than the intended one due to a Name to IP mapping error in DNS, WINS or host/Lmhosts file.

For more information and resolutions please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/replication-error-1753-there-are-no-more-endpoints-available-from-the-endpoint-mapper(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps

Hi,

I've been through the article mentioned above, and am still at a loss to see what the issue is.

REPADMIN and DCDIAG are not showing any issues with replication between the DC's, or any other errors.

I've tried the Import-DHCPServer on both new Server 2012 DC's (both of which will eventually become the new DHCP servers in a failover relationship) and the result is the same.
    Is there some sort of "lock" in place on the active leases that needs to be released?

It seems strange that the server config and the reservation leases are imported without issue???

Regards

Matt

Matt

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Running into the same problem.  I successfully did this on 4 other server combos, and this one site is giving me the same problems you listed.

Was there any resolution for you?

Thanks 

Chris

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Was there any resolution to this?  I am running into the same problem after successfully doing the same thing on 4 other server combos.

Sorry if this is a double post, I navigated away from page early on first post, not sure if it went through.

Chris

Friday, April 11, 2014 3:27 PM
  • I was able to resolve the problem by changing the 'ComputerName' value from FQDN to NetBIOS.  No, seriously....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2923656

• Proposed as answer by 2ndO Friday, September 12, 2014 6:47 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Oh my God ... Thank you!
    Friday, July 1, 2016 9:05 PM
  • 3 years later, this is still useful, thank you!

But good grief, what a ridiculous bug and for it to still be around for 3 years!

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:06 PM
  • November 2017 and this pulled me out of a hole today. Thanks.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 10:41 AM