none
RE: Percentages and General Cell Formatting RRS feed

• Question

• I been entering data into columns for a project I'm working on. 

When setting cell type, does is affect the whole column or each cell? 

Example below, I'm entering general numbers and some I need to do percentages but when I apply the percentage to a cell it applies that format to rest of the column even when I change it back to general.

Is this a bug? 

• Edited by ResidentX10 Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:59 PM

Answers

• I discovered the answer today. 

You don't have to format the cell first...you just have to add "%" or remove it(office AI might add it for you) after whatever you key in. 

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Saturday, August 31, 2019 7:05 PM
    Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested this problem and I found if I set the same cell format continuously, the next time I enter the value in the same column it will change to the previous cell format but not the default General cell format:

I suggest you give a feedback about this behavior in Excel user voice forum, maybe you can get any information:

https://excel.uservoice.com/

This is a way for users give feedback to Microsoft, hope it's helpful.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:41 AM
  • I first saw this on my phone without the video but on my PC I see it now. Thanks for the short video. 

I used the dropdown to change percentage/general and maybe that does the whole column. I'll reply again shortly. 

I may post on uservoice...

Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:29 PM
  • I'm back at my desk and rewatching this. 

You did it different than I did, you filled in all the fields first and then adjusted them from general to percentage. 

I filled them in from completely blank. This is where I had the problems. 

The column adjusts to the first field setting and then changes the column to what ever you change it to. 

When I changed 1 field to percentage they all changed to percentage(field status for input) afterwards. 

Also, what tool did you use to make this video snippet? 

Once you confirm the issue then I'll open on uservoice.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:44 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

The GIF tool is: LICEcap

Regards,

Emi

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:10 AM
  • And I tested again, I found it's also related to 3 times cell format:

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Can elaborate on what you've done here? I need to open a case but I don't really understand why you've created 3 columns. I see the B column is what I'm experiencing but the other two columns I have not experienced. 
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:22 PM
  • I discovered the answer today. 

You don't have to format the cell first...you just have to add "%" or remove it(office AI might add it for you) after whatever you key in. 

• Marked as answer by ResidentX10 Saturday, August 31, 2019 7:05 PM
    Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:59 PM