none
an error occurred while rendering navigation for requested URL/: People

Question

• Hi,

While I am clicking Site Action->Edit page, left hand navigation gives an error in my sharepoint portal.

Error Description:-

Please help to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Knowledge is power.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Manoj,

from the error message it seems that the navigation structure stored in SharePoint is inconsistent with the actual site structure. SharePoint stores the navigation nodes separatelly from the site for performance reasons. It seems that this structure in your environment does no longer reflect the real site structure.

That should not happen.

You should open a support case with Microsoft to get this analyzed.

Cheers,
    Stefan

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Mahesh,

Can you try to enable the publishing feature on the site and check if that resolves the issue ? Site Actions - Site Settings - Site features- Enable Publishing Feature 

Let us know if that doesn't resolve the issue. Thanks 

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by CherryP Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:18 AM
  • Hi Zoeb,

Publishing feature is enabled already. Even if I deactivated then activated also but no luck.

Thank you.

Knowledge is power.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Did you deactivate and activate the feature on the site level or on the site collection level ? can you try on the site collection level as well ? 

Is this site migrated from some other site ? 

Also check this link for more information - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/efeaeb27-0556-41d0-8d96-a267ee33c8eb/ 

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

from the error message it seems that the navigation structure stored in SharePoint is inconsistent with the actual site structure. SharePoint stores the navigation nodes separatelly from the site for performance reasons. It seems that this structure in your environment does no longer reflect the real site structure.

That should not happen.

You should open a support case with Microsoft to get this analyzed.

Cheers,
    Stefan

Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your suggestion. we will try to communicate to Microsoft tem and let's see how it works.

Thanks

Knowledge is power.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

I had a similar problem, and none of the actions suggested seemed to make a difference.

I had created a sub-site yesterday called epro, and, before that, everything was working great for all of my other sub-sites. Thus, I concluded that the epro site was somehow corrupt, and tried to do away with it. Unfortunately, Site Settings for all sub-sites was suddenly failing as well, so I could not delete the corrupt sub-site that way.

What I finally got to work was using SharePoint Designer to open the epro sub-site. I was then able to use the Delete Site button on the SP Designer ribbon to kill the epro site. Voici! Voila! Everything else (site sittings for other sub-sites, navigation for sub-sites, etc) started working as well. Then I rebuilt the epro sub-site. So far, so good.

Friday, February 28, 2014 5:16 PM
  • I had the same issue after upgrading a client from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint Server 2010 (along the road to updating them to SharePoint 2013).

SOLUTION: In your SharePoint 2010 site logged on as a site adminstrator...

(FYI: When migrating my content database, i did not use the "Updateuserexperience" parameter, so my navigation still looks like MOSS 2007. Please use the SharePoint 2010 pages where the navigation differs from MOSS 2007.)

• Site Actions => Site Settings =>Modify Navigation
    • In the "Navigation Editing and Sorting" section, Edit the first of your "Global Navigation" links: Use a fully-instantiated url path rather than a relative path (ex http: //<server name>/<site name>). Click OK after that 1 update.

This worked for me. The "ERROR" boxes in the navigation areas of the screen went away and the navigation menus returned. NOTE: The url's on the navigation menu configuration (in the "Navigation Editing and Sorting" section of the Navigation page) returned to relative paths automatically as well.

Hope this works as easily for at least some of you as well.

-Frank Melvin

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:04 PM