none
Automatically upgrade user .pst file from command line?

Question

• Hello,
    we are about to install Office 2007 onto 200 computers and have an issue with a known, yet unfixed, bug in Outlook 2007.

The issue is that old pst files are stored in a different format then new file, probably LATIN1 for the old and UTF-8 for the 2007 version.
    So when a user receives a UTF-8 encoded e-mail and is using the old pst file then the E-mail will magically lose Umlauts (ö,ü,ä). So instead of "Dear Mr Ströb," it will say "Dear Mr Strb,".

The workaround appears to be to create a new pst (v2007) and import the old information. The big problem is that I have not been able to find an automated way of doing this.  Upgrading every .pst on 200 machines by hand will take months (some machines are in different cities).

So I am asking here in the Office deployment forum:
    Does anybody know of a way which allows me to control the Outlook Import/Export Wizard from command line?

I have looked into using http://www.autohotkey.com/ to hack around this issue but an "approved" way is be preferred....
    Monday, March 01, 2010 3:21 PM

Answers

• Well this bug has been great, thank you Microsoft! I was now able to convince my company to switch to OpenOffice and stop using Microsoft Office.

Due to the UI changes in Office 2007 all users would have needed training so now they get OpenOffice training. The shitty IMAP support in Outlook was another point to abandon Office. It was pretty much a done deal after I demonstrated Outlook 2007 with our IMAP servers (my Cellphone has better IMAP support).

I never thought that I would be able to push OpenOffice into our company but this really helped.

Thank you Microsoft, I could not have done it without you.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:24 AM

All replies

• Well this bug has been great, thank you Microsoft! I was now able to convince my company to switch to OpenOffice and stop using Microsoft Office.

Due to the UI changes in Office 2007 all users would have needed training so now they get OpenOffice training. The shitty IMAP support in Outlook was another point to abandon Office. It was pretty much a done deal after I demonstrated Outlook 2007 with our IMAP servers (my Cellphone has better IMAP support).

I never thought that I would be able to push OpenOffice into our company but this really helped.

Thank you Microsoft, I could not have done it without you.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

PST(personal storage file) is used to store emails, contacts, calendar data, attachments and more. Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 have both a different format and a larger overall size limit for the personal folders (.pst) file than the .pst files that are in the earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook. In Outlook 2002 and earlier, the .pst files are in the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) format, and the overall size has a limit of 2 gigabytes (GB).Exceeding the size limit can potentially lead to data corruption and loss.

To avoid corruption due to exceeding the size limit of 2 GB imposed on ANSI PST file, you need to convert your ANSI PST file to Unicode PST file to enhance the size limit to 20 GB.

To upgrade the pst files use can use third party tool, which upgrade ANSI pst files into unicode pst files in few clicks. Among the bunch of the software to upgrade pst i like most is SysInfoTools PST Upgrade and Downgrade. 

I am using this from the couple of months. I like the most in this that this software also supports command line feature through which one can upgrade n number of pst files. I use this tool at my home and in my office also. I will suggest you to use this tool, this tool helps you to deal with pst files.

http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/pst-upgrade.html

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:18 PM