none
Random emails getting sent out when changing "Assigned to" to allow multiple items

Question

• On several Tasks lists, we've modified the "Assigned To" collumn allow multiple People.

When when a new task is created, all goes well; The people to whom the task has been assigned gets notified.

However, when one of the people to whom the task is assigned changes anything in the task (e.g. the task's Status), a new email gets sent out to not only the users who have been assigned that task, but to a random (and seemingly inconsistent) group of other people.

In the email, it indicates that the change the user made occored (e.g. the Status field was changed) and also that the "Assigned To field was once assigned to all these random users, and has been changed to the users who were assinged the task orriginally.

This is really weird behaviour and it only seems to occur on Tasks lists where the Assigned To columns has been changed to allow multiple values.

Here's an example:
    1. A singe task is assigned to users named Assignee1 and Assignee2.
    2. Assignee1 and Assignee2 receive email notifications of the new task.
    3. Assignee1 changes the status on the task from "Not Started" to "Completed."
    4. A new notification email is sent to Assignee1, Assignee2, RandomUser1, RandomUser2, RandomUser3, and RandomUser4.
      The email indicates that the "Stautus" column has been changed from "Not Started" to "Completed," and that the "Assinged to" column has been changed from Assignee1; Assignee2;RandomUser1;RandomUser2; RandomUser3;RandomUser4 to Assignee1; Assignee2.

Things to note:

- the people who get 'unassigned' the task are not the same every time
    - the version history of the task does not reflect the behaviour in the email notification

Any assistance is appreciated!
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:49 PM

All replies

•  

I am having this exact same problem. We have a sharepoint site with 350 users and now up to 5 people will randomly get the email message on a Task item update.

Because some of the Tasks have "sensitive" information if I cannot find a patch for this we will have to discontinue using sharepoint and find a new solution.

Does anyone have a solution for this behavor?

Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  

Instead of changing the Assigned To field to allow multiple users try creating a group adding the user's to the group and assigning the task to that group.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:45 PM
  •  

We always don't have the same groups so that solution will not work, the problem has gotten alot worse has anyone come acrossed a patch that will work?

Sunday, June 08, 2008 4:29 AM
  •  

I'm having the same problem. A non-collaborative option to be somewhat helpful is to add it to your RSS reader in Outlook 2007, until the problem is resolved via a patch.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  

See thats not really a option, I think what we have to do is save up and buy a support ticket from microsoft and then they can tell us how to patch this problem. I'm going to see if my company can spring for a request, This seems to be a big problem with people that mildly customize lists and Microsoft's free support will not address this issue.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:30 PM
  •  

After spending the 260 dollars microsoft has a hot fix that fixes this issue.

We are testing it now, also we are taking donations to help recoop the $$.

but here is the hotfix link, Enjoy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948945

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:54 PM