Sharepoint Config DB size grown to 25 GB RRS feed

• Question

• My sharepoint farms' config DB size has grown to 25 GB leaving no sapce on disc. That to alone Config_log.ldf file is of 24.5 GB.
    how can i truncate size of this log DB?
    Is there any way to limit the size of Sharepoint Config DB?

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:34 AM

Answers

• Truncate Config DB as a regular SQL transaction log file truncation. it has nothing to do with sharepoint programming forum. however here is how i truncate the log, run these in Query window in SQL

USE DatabaseName
    GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE(<TransactionLogName>1)

BACKUP LOG <DatabaseNameWITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

DBCC SHRINKFILE(<TransactionLogName>, 1)

transaction log name is your config database ldf file name without .ldf extension. database name is your wss config database name.

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:41 PM

All replies

• Truncate Config DB as a regular SQL transaction log file truncation. it has nothing to do with sharepoint programming forum. however here is how i truncate the log, run these in Query window in SQL

USE DatabaseName
    GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE(<TransactionLogName>1)

BACKUP LOG <DatabaseNameWITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

DBCC SHRINKFILE(<TransactionLogName>, 1)

transaction log name is your config database ldf file name without .ldf extension. database name is your wss config database name.

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Thank you for the response.

My apology for putting misleading question.

Actually truncating is not an issue but as my sharepoint config DB is growing to 25 GB in 2-3 days after each time I truncate the DB.And I am not able to figure out how this is happening as I am not doing any major updation on my sharepoint portal. So my problem is how I can set restrictions on Config DB so that it will not grow beyond a limit.

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:02 AM
  • Moving to the admin forum

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:35 PM
  • This is happening because all the databases (Except for the search and ssp databases) are set to full recovery mode by default. Full recovery mode does not auto shrink / truncate the log files on a full backup. You can change this to simple recovery mode and it will auto truncate on full backups. Microsoft does not recommend changing to simple recovery mode in a production environment.

Full recovery mode allows the SQL admins to backup the transcation logs incrementally, simple recovery mode does not allow this and only allows full or differential backups, no transaction log backups. I assume you need full recovery mode to do log shipping and mirroring as well.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:53 AM
  • I don't know squat about sql, but our guy who does just informed me that ours has grown to 150GB. I think i have stumbled upon a source for wild ldf log file growth: a sharepoint workflow which automatically triggers on file modification, which in turn modifies the file. I'm turning it off and we'll see if our seriously rapid growth stops.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:07 PM