none
Outlook Exchange Cached Mode on Outlook 2010 vs Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does Exchange Cached Mode behave differently for Outlook 2010 vs Outlook 2016?

- There is no gpo to Enabled Exchange Cached Mode

- Manually disabled Outlook Cached Mode from Outlook

- Manually deleted ost file in C:\......

Relaunch Outlook (Cached Mode remain Disabled) > a new ost file created for Outlook 2010 (which is not suppose to because Cached mode is disabled), but not for Outlook 2016.

Please shed some lights. thank you

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Chomet,

Do you configure same account on Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016?

I tested this with Outlook 2010 (MSO14.0.7015.1000) and Outlook 2016 (MSO 16.0.4849.1000). Please refer to my steps:

1. Configure GPO to disable cached Exchange mode for new and existing profiles.

2. Add one account: user@domain.com to both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016.

No OST file was generated on both devices.

2. Add another account: myaccount@outlook.com to both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016.

Ost file is generated on both devices.

Whether an OST is created seems to be related with mailbox content. Maybe related with the Offline folder mentioned in another thread. Currently, I haven’t found official article which explaining Offline folder in detail.

I'd like to recommend you configure the behavior via GPO or registry key to achieve your requirement.

You can feel free to post back if you have further concern.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Chomet,

Do you configure same account on Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016?

I tested this with Outlook 2010 (MSO14.0.7015.1000) and Outlook 2016 (MSO 16.0.4849.1000). Please refer to my steps:

1. Configure GPO to disable cached Exchange mode for new and existing profiles.

2. Add one account: user@domain.com to both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016.

No OST file was generated on both devices.

2. Add another account: myaccount@outlook.com to both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016.

Ost file is generated on both devices.

Whether an OST is created seems to be related with mailbox content. Maybe related with the Offline folder mentioned in another thread. Currently, I haven’t found official article which explaining Offline folder in detail.

I'd like to recommend you configure the behavior via GPO or registry key to achieve your requirement.

You can feel free to post back if you have further concern.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Yes they are some user account on both Outlook computers.

May i know what is Microsoft recommendation in term of Outlook Cache Mode for Exchange Online?

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:13 AM
  • Hi Chomet,

When using Cached Exchange mode, we need to pay attention to the size of local data file(.ost). If the size become too large, we may experience performance issue.

This also depends on your hard disk and RAM but the recommended size would be around 10 GB. Under this limit, your experience will be better.

This can be controlled via changing the Offline Settings or archiving your mailbox.

From Exchange 2003, cached mode is default when adding exchange accounts. It’s recommended to use cached exchange mode on PC with enough disk space. Users can still access their mail without network connectivity, and it generates much less network traffic.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:40 AM