none
How can I make users log in to and log out of Outlook 2010?

Question

• Howdy!  I'm trying to devise a system in which users must log in to and log out of Outlook 2010.  Basically, our users would have a generic, automatic (passwordless) login to computers and then have to type in their login credentials into Outlook in order to receive their e-mails.  I'm trying to do this without having users log in to the domain at system startup.  It would create a "terminal" sort of setup where users would not have to change profiles on the local machine but would still be abkle to access their e-mails through Outlook 2010.

Is there any way of doing this?  Is there a program or Outlook plugin that would allow me to do this?  This is one of the last snags to being able to implement a very sleek Windows 7 setup.

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you set up each user with their own *.pst file successfully?

If so, you can go to Control Panel and click on the Mail Icon. Click on the Show Profile button. Add your different profiles then click on the Prompt for a profile to be used button. Now when Outlook is launched it will let you select which account to use.

And I see you are using exchange, so another suggestion is you could use OWA which would follow the person where ever they logon to because the email stays on the server.

Monday, June 14, 2010 9:21 AM

All replies

• I assume you're using Exchange (what else...)?

When you have a profile set up for Outlook, go to the properties of the Exchange account and choose Advanced.

In the tab security (3rd), you can check on that users always have to fill in their credentials; when opening Outlook. E.g. starting this profile.

Is this what you're looking for? Succ6!

Arjan Vos, NL

VosAJM - Woerden (NL)
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Unfortunately, signing in as a different user doesn't allow you to change accounts.  It just denies access because that account doesn't have permission to access the current inbox.  Also, it doesn't hide e-mails received in the previous session.  You can still read any old e-mails without logging in.

I'm looking for something that changes the inbox every time someone logs in.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:08 PM
  • I am using Exchange.

Unfortunately, I need something that changes the inbox each time a different user logs in.  This method only attempts to gain access to the current inbox based on new credentials.  Also, you can see old e-mails and I need for this to not be the case.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Have you set up each user with their own *.pst file successfully?

If so, you can go to Control Panel and click on the Mail Icon. Click on the Show Profile button. Add your different profiles then click on the Prompt for a profile to be used button. Now when Outlook is launched it will let you select which account to use.

And I see you are using exchange, so another suggestion is you could use OWA which would follow the person where ever they logon to because the email stays on the server.

Monday, June 14, 2010 9:21 AM