none
Outlook 2016 - Using PRF file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we have a group of users that have to open the same mailbox.

in Outlook 2010 we used a PRF file that contain all the needed settings.

In Outlook 2016 we have the option to set a PRF file with the OCT tool, but its not working.

how can i force this group to open the specific mail box?

(i tried to set that profile on one computer and export the reg key that handle it. and force it by GP on the other users. its working "well", only this way i cant set cache mode, since the reg key saved the first user location for the OST file).

sorry fore the mess, English is not my native language...

Tamar

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Tamar,

As is described in the blog I shared above, "you can still use a PRF for your on-premises environments and Outlook 2013 or earlier versions". But for Outlook 2016, PRF is no longer supported due to the changes to how Exchange Autodiscover information is stored in parallel with an Outlook profile. 

>> All the delegates are supposed to open this mailbox, not their private mailbox.

For this scenario, have you tried the method I mentioned above and try granting all the users full access to the specific mailbox so that the users can access the mailbox via Automap?

In addition, regarding your concern about restore support in PRF files, it is encouraged to post this feedback to the Outlook UserVoice forum. Microsoft always loves hearing all customers' ideas. 

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tamar Ben levi Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Tamar,

>> In Outlook 2016 we have the option to set a PRF file with the OCT tool, but its not working.

Typically, an Outlook profile (.prf) file can be used for most situations. However, there are two scenarios under which the use of .PRF files are not supported. One of them is Outlook 2016 - changes to how Exchange Autodiscover information is stored in parallel with an Outlook profile prevents the use of .PRF files to configure Exchange accounts in Outlook 2016. For more information, hopefully the blog below can be helpful:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/outlooking/2015/10/30/zeroconfigexchange-automating-the-creation-of-an-outlook-profile-for-exchange-online-accounts-and-exchange-on-premises-environments/

As per the .ost location issue when exporting the reg key and forcing it by GP, this might be an expected behavior as you may have known.

>> how can i force this group to open the specific mail box?

Could you please clarify why you would like to "force this group to open the specific mail box"?

I am assuming that you may consider granting all the users full access to the specific mailbox so that their Outlook clients can automatically map to the mailbox.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for responding. 

1. what is the Prf Used for if not to be able to force other settings than the default?

2. We have a call center that works with one generic mailbox for about 20 service representatives.
    All the delegates are supposed to open this mailbox, not their private mailbox.
    With ZCE we were able to set outlook to open a default profile of the user who logged on to the computer.
    Previously, we used the PRF file to define the profile of the special mailbox, and we gave users a shortcut to start this profile. Since it no longer works, we have not found another way to set this box for them. Maybe you have a different idea (except for the export of the registry value)?

I call Microsoft to restore support in PRF files ;-)

Thanks,

Tamar

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Hi Tamar,

As is described in the blog I shared above, "you can still use a PRF for your on-premises environments and Outlook 2013 or earlier versions". But for Outlook 2016, PRF is no longer supported due to the changes to how Exchange Autodiscover information is stored in parallel with an Outlook profile. 

>> All the delegates are supposed to open this mailbox, not their private mailbox.

For this scenario, have you tried the method I mentioned above and try granting all the users full access to the specific mailbox so that the users can access the mailbox via Automap?

In addition, regarding your concern about restore support in PRF files, it is encouraged to post this feedback to the Outlook UserVoice forum. Microsoft always loves hearing all customers' ideas. 

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

• Marked as answer by Tamar Ben levi Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:41 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Thanks for you answer. 

Hoped you will have better news for me...

>> All the delegates are supposed to open this mailbox, not their private mailbox

all the users has full permission to that mail box, but it has to be the main mailbox in the profile (the are not suppose to use their privet mailbox).

I manage to set an OST file in a shared location so all the users will be able to write to it, so as a workaround its OK, but i don't think its the best practice to do it.

I will follow your advice and post a feedback in the  Outlook UserVoice forum.

Thanks!

Tamar

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:13 AM
  • Hi Tamar,

Thanks for your understanding :)

You may also share the link of your post in UserVoice forum so that others who have the similar idea can vote for your suggestion there when they read this thread.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:44 AM