none
Outlook is closing icon until I reboot or end OUTLOOK.EXE RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I close Outlook, the system tray icon changes to grey and the tooltip says "Outlook is closing"
    The icon will stay there and Outlook cannot open again until either I reboot or end OUTLOOK.EXE from task manager.
    I have Windows 7 64bit and Outlook 2010 64bit.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• I have found what seems like a surefire way to avoid this problem. After trying many things, I found that making sure that no folder from an imap server was being displayed, and setting the display focus on a folder from a local data file, solved the problem. Whenever a folder from an imap server (not local) is being displayed and I exit, it hangs. Whenever a local folder is selected, it exits properly.

Selecting an imap folder and going offline also solves the problem.

I conclude that in my case the problem is caused by waiting for some network activity to finish on the currently displayed imap folder.

Perhaps this is a clue.
    • Proposed as answer by Simon Jones [MSDL] Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Caledor Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:43 AM

All replies

• Is outlook.exe still listed in task manager, processes tab? If so, try ending the process and see if it will restart.

Do you have more than 1 account in the profile and at least one is POP3 account? If so, this bug is fixed in a future build.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Yes, I can end outlook.exe from the task manager and it will work again.
    I only have 1 account, and it's an IMAP account.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I found that if I disconnect from the internet Outlook will close right away. So what is Outlook doing over the internet that keeps it from closing?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:04 PM
  • I have found what seems like a surefire way to avoid this problem. After trying many things, I found that making sure that no folder from an imap server was being displayed, and setting the display focus on a folder from a local data file, solved the problem. Whenever a folder from an imap server (not local) is being displayed and I exit, it hangs. Whenever a local folder is selected, it exits properly.

I conclude that in my case the problem is caused by waiting for some network activity to finish on the currently displayed imap folder.

Perhaps this is a clue.
    • Proposed as answer by Simon Jones [MSDL] Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Caledor Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:26 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:43 AM
  • That worked for me, just clicked on contacts and then exited, and it closed right away.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:31 AM

Perhaps this is a clue.

in layman's terms, please?
    Friday, October 8, 2010 7:57 PM
  • i have the same problem but with windows 10 pro and Outlook 2016 64bit.

its seems that Microsoft is not interested in solving this problem as i can see the post was from Jan 2010 and now it is Aug 2017, after seven years outlook have the same problem but with different versions.

Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Yes, you are right. 7 years down the line and still no solution...

I am running 64bit windows 10/ outlook 2016 and I am using a Zimbra Outlook Connector.

I simply end the outlook task from task manager to start outlook again, but it would be nice if there is a solution out there... 

Friday, December 1, 2017 6:18 AM
  • i have the same problem but with windows 10 pro and Outlook 2016 64bit.

its seems that Microsoft is not interested in solving this problem as i can see the post was from Jan 2010 and now it is Aug 2017, after seven years outlook have the same problem but with different versions.

August 2018, same issue. W10 / Office 2016 all latest updates installed.
    • Proposed as answer by Octavian S Thursday, February 21, 2019 4:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Octavian S Thursday, February 21, 2019 4:10 PM
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:15 AM
  • I had the same issue with W10/Outlook (32bit), I tried all proposed solutions and in the end I managed to solve it by...removing the shared calendar of some of my colleagues. How I found this might have been the issue? I searched for the Sync Issues Folder where, since the issue in subject started happening, there were issues syncing with one of my colleagues calendar. In this way I removed the affected contacts and I can close the Outlook without issues.
    Thursday, February 21, 2019 4:16 PM
  • I recently ran into this and from what I can tell if you wait for the bar at the bottom to fully synchronize then you can exit and it no longer has the grayed out outlook is closing icon. I hope this is true and can help others who may still have this problem in 2019 and beyond

Friday, September 6, 2019 5:40 PM
  • We have this same issue. we are running Server 2016, O365ProPlus ver 16.0.12130 32bit but we have seen this with earlier version and kept upgraded with updates.

When PoSH (send-mail) or an application sends mail using Outlook with the application closed, it will send the email successfully but then Outlook is 'stuck' with the grey icon in the System Tray with "Outlook is closing".

We are hoping Microsoft might jump in on this conversation as it has been around for some time now.

Has anyone found the solutions to this?

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:55 PM