none
Is it possible to change or rename sharepoint site? RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Once you've created a site the URL you originally specified can't be changed.  The only way I know of to rename a site is to use STSADM and do an export of the site and then import it with the new name.  The subsites would need to be moved underneath the new site which could be done through Manage Content and Structure if you are using MOSS w/ publishing enabled.
    John
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    http://www.rossonmoss.com
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Can you not do the following?  If I understand the question correctly I think this will allow you to do so.

You can easily do this as long as you have the rights to do so.  If not it is something your admin can do.  To change it go to "site actions->site settings under look and feel click on title, description, and icon. 

Once on this page you can see the url at the bottom.  Simply change it to "site2" and all contents underneath will be adjusted as well.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:31 PM
  • John is right,

you can only to it by exporting the old site and import it back to a new site with a new url.

If you follow AggieJustin03 suggestion, only the title and not the URL will be changed!

Cheers,
    Daniel Bugday

Web: SharePoint Forum Blog: Daniel Bugday's SharePoint Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:59 PM
  • As a side note -- its highly annoying to have to do that.  I probably spent a good hour trying to find another way.  It just doesn't exist.
    John
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:29 PM
  • You could actually do it using the Object Model(OM) and there is a tool that uses the OM to set properties on a SharePoint site called:

SharePoint Manager:
    http://www.codeplex.com/spm

Cheers,
    Daniel Bugday

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Of course you can do anything with code but that's cheating :-)  If we answered every question with "just do it with code" what fun would that be?
    John
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Daniel Bugday said:

John is right,

you can only to it by exporting the old site and import it back to a new site with a new url.

If you follow AggieJustin03 suggestion, only the title and not the URL will be changed!

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

Is this true?  Are we confusing a site with a site collection?  The OP gave a URL that looks more like a sub-site than a site collection (top-level site) unless he's using explicit managed paths.  If he's not, and this is just a sub-site, then yes, you can change both the title AND the URL.  You can even change the URL without changing the Title...

Now, the OP went on to say, "...and would it affect subsites and the content within site1?"  One could construe this as meaning that since he specified "sub-sites," then maybe he WAS referring to those URL examples as separate explicit managed path site collections, but he may have just meant additional sub-sites below the first sub-site.  I dunno, but I do believe there is a clear distinction between the two in regards to this topic (one can be changed and one can't).
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Clayton-

Can you describe the steps for changing the URL of a subsite?  I'd be glad to give it a try if I missed something.
    John
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:27 PM
  • I must have been thinking of changing the URLs for site collections or something else.  But I just went through and tested on both a Collaboration site and a Publishing site and both work just fine.  I'm big enough to admit when I was wrong :-)

Now site collections are definitely a different story.
    John
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:46 PM
  • The simple method already described:
    1) Go to the sub-site
    2) Site Actions > Site Settings > Title, Description, and Icon
    3) In the Web Site Address section, change the "URL Name:" field to whatever URL extension you prefer.

I just changed a test sub-site from http://domain.com/clay to http://domain.com/clayton.  The only place I can't do this is on my top-level sites (root and other).
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:48 PM
  • The steps are:

Site Actions > Site Settings > Title, Description, and Icon and here, you can change the "title" and the "URL".

But, you need to manually update the top-link bar name of the site and the quick Launch name of the site from the "parent site".

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Yeah, like I said above -- I must have been confusing things with site collections which despite there being a "renamesite" STSADM operation it doesn't work so hot.
    John
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Daniel Bugday said:

The steps are:

Site Actions > Site Settings > Title, Description, and Icon and here, you can change the "title" and the "URL".

But, you need to manually update the top-link bar name of the site and the quick Launch name of the site from the "parent site".

Cheers,

Daniel Bugday

If you are using the automatic navigation, then you don't have to change that either.  You don't have to change the title to change the URL, so that part is not necessarily relevant, but if you DO change the title along with the URL, then the title should change automatically in the nav unless your nav is custom and not automatically drawing from the sub-site configuration.  When I change the title, my current nav (left nav) and global nav (top nav) both update accordingly.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:58 PM
  • I tried in a WSS 3.0 and the title it didn't get updated.

Daniel Bugday

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:01 PM
  • No customization to your nav such as the type where you manually add links and headings?  I'm using MOSS and only ever use MOSS, so there are often things I don't realize (or forget) that work differently in WSS 3.0.  Can you try on a MOSS site if you have access?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Hmm, I have actually run into a problem with changing the URL.  After posting a reply yesterday I looked into a site that I had recently changed the URL of a subsite throught the site settings.  It seems all changed well except if I click on the "Documents" link or the "Lists" link on the left navigation.  If I hover over they are still pointed to the old url.  So instead of pointing to http://url/new it is pointing to http://url/old.

As I was typing this I thought of a fix.  If you go to site actions->site settings->navigation you can click on the "headers" as I see they are now called and then click edit.  All you will need to change is the first piece of the url.  For example it was "/Old/_layouts..." I changed it to "/New/_layouts..." and it worked fine.  No more errors saying file not found.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Hi all,

It works for me .

I could able to rename the sharepoint site name in the following ways :

Using my login [I have full control as i am one among the site Owners] Note : the site to which the name has to be changed is a subsite , so the below steps should be done with in the parent site .

-In the Site actions -> Site settings -> under Look and Feel ->Title,description, & icon using this option change the site name and the URL for the same . -Then again like above Site actions -> Site settings -> under Look and Feel ->Quick Launch -> here edit the site name .

Hope this helps you.

-Nandhini

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:48 AM
  • I think it's fairly obvious that HKEC was referring to site collections as sites and sub sites can be easily renamed with either stsadm -o renameweb or through the GUI, as described many times above.

The short answer to your question is no. Site collections cannot be renamed, at least not those on managed paths.

e.g. domain1.com/sitecollection_name

Hosted site collections using host headers can be renamed using the stsadm -o renamesite command but it is limited to hosted sites only.

e.g. domain1.com/ -> domain2/com

Yes, another massive limitation of the current SharePoint version. What makes this all the more confounding is managed paths. You can create a managed path for a site collection using either "explicit exclusion" or "Wildcard inclusion" - not both!

So let's say you want the following structure for your site collections:

domain1.com/groups
    domain1.com/groups/team1

- where both groups and team 1 are site collections.

This cannot be achieved. The reason is because to create a site collection at the managed path of /groups it must be set to "Explicit exclusion" - meaning you cannot create site collections below this path.

If you create the /groups path to use "Wildcard inclusion" then you can only create sites below this path.

i.e. domain1/groups/my_sitecollection

This means that site collections can have no distinct hierarchy. Not that this matters given that they are treated as separate entities and current version web parts are unable to query across site collections anwyay!

So is there a workaround to both these limitations? I'm glad you asked. ;)

The following refers to explicitly renaming a single site collection which uses "Explicit exclusion" only. Depending on your needs you can use "Wildcard inclusion" for ensuing site collections.

To rename a site collection you need to:

1. Backup your exsiting site collection using stsadm -o backup .
    2. Create a managed path of newpath "Explicit eclusion" using the new name you want.
    3. Restore the site collectoion to the new URL using stsadm -o restore .
    To create a virtual URL hierarchy you can:
    1. Create a managed path of newpath/newsite "Explicit exclusion".
    2. Create a new site collection using this path.
    Yes, it's true! MOSS will allow you to create a managed path in this form. Now, whether it's a good idea or not is another matter entirely. ;)

Good luck! And may version 14 resolve these and many other issues we're plagued with.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 17, 2009 5:35 AM Your sig is offensive. Change it
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:59 AM
  • Hi all ,

I have same issue , I have a site under the server in sharepoint 2003 version , and now users requesting to copy all the sub sites and meeting work spaces to new site collection with the different name . As it has huge data i can not create a stp file for this . I have approached below solution .

1) Taken the backup of the existing site with site collections using Front Page Server Exensions

2) Restored in to a new Site Collection with the new name

3) Deleted the old site collection

Ravishankar Maduri MCTS,MCPD,MCP

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:59 PM
  • I changed the web sit address to a URL that does not exist. I saved the edit and when I went the site link, I got a "website cannot be displayed". This is the URL I changed it to

:// teams.cree.com / sites/ prf / facilities%20default.aspx / default.aspx (spaces added for clariry)

When I try to edit the setting to change it back I cannot get the setting page.

Is there some backdoor admin way to change this sharepoint sites and workspaces url web site address back to the original URL which is

:// teams.cree.com / sites / prf / facilities. (spaces added for clariry)

Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:43 AM
  • found this article

http://www.sharepointrelated.com/2015/03/30/change-site-collection-url-sharepoint/ 

Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:11 PM