none
Vista Freezes Up - Can Do Nothing But Hard Reboot

Question

• My situation: New HP Media Center PC with Vista Home Premium pre-installed.

The problem: The PC freezes up completely at seemingly random intervals. I could be using a browser, trying to watch a DVD, checking my e-mail, working in Word or anything and the computer just stops responding. The keyboard and mouse are completely unresponsive and the only thing I can do is a hard reboot. There are no error messages or anything else to indicate what caused the lock-up. My USB ports still seem active (external hub lights remain on).  Because Vista is OEM supplied, I have to use HP tech support and I can't even get them to understand what the problem is, let alone make any useful suggestions as to how I might fix it.  I see from other threads here that other people have had similar problems. Has anyone managed ot figure out what's goin on and fix it?

Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:19 PM

Answers

• VISTA FREEZE PROBLEM SOLVED! I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I'll give all the steps I was given and what eventually worked.

Gateway customer service asked me to do the following:

-Run windows recovery utilities in right after BIOS loads (on a gateway, it's F8 right after starting the PC). This didn't solve my problem, but may help you. Most users propobly don't know those tools exist.

-We tried rolling back to an earlier recovery point... but we couldn't get it to work.

-As mentioned before, we pulled the memory out to ensure not static charge.

-Finally (this seems to be what did the trick), we went into MSCONFIG, deactivated everything, and I read each item to Gateway tech support, who told me what to check and what not to check (basically, anything with Microsoft, Intel, or our Virus Scan/Firewall programs were allowed to remain, everything else was deactivated). It now seems to work just fine! I've got to put in a good plug for Gateway's customer support... they really did help with this.

Hope this helps someone!

Saturday, August 04, 2007 4:32 AM

All replies

• Now, isn't THAT interesting!.......My op/sys of Vista Ultimate does exactly the same thing. Mines a Dell OEM laptop. I haven't a clue as to why this randomly happens, but at least now I know its not just my pc, and as you state, the retailer has no idea what is causing it even after reinstalling the op/sys and doing the disc backups. I've had the laptop now for 3 weeks, if this problem can't be solved them I'll have to return the entire laptop for a refund.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Yes meeeee too

I have a Toshiba satellite with a XP convert to vista premium 32 bit

What usually happens to me is when the laptop sat long enough for screensaver to come on. After screen saver gets touched by my the mouse pad then I have to tap a quick tap to the on/off button to bring back a switch user screen and the page comes back, right after that point I get no mouse or keyboard. I have to resort to holding down the on/off button long enough to reboot. This is really annoying especially when I’m in the middle of important stuff.

jim

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:57 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem on a Dell Precision Workstation 490 with Vista Ultimate. My symptoms begin with Explorer window not responding. The other Windows continue to respond for a while before everything freezes over. I have tried rebooting the server from command line (shutdown -f -t 0 -r). If I do that the machine just gets stuck at "Shutting Down" until I hard reboot. The problem is particularly annoying since I have a Intel RAID-5 controller which start "Verifying and Rebuilding" the RAID group if I hard reboot (only Intel knows why they need to do that since the write cache on the drives are off) and the performance sucks until the rebuild is complete.

I have uninstalled antivirus, firewall, spyware protection (Norton 360) assuming this maybe the cause of the problem. That did not help. I have reinstalled the operating system without any software to no avail either. I am not sure how one can troubleshoot the problem and have it addressed by MSFT.

B
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:38 AM
  • I have this problem aswell, i find it only happens when i am downloading somthing and i try to use another program like watching tv or playing a game. I've tried using different download programs, it helps a bit with free download manager, but it gets really annoying when i'm downloading something really bigwith no resume and it crashes at the end.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:38 PM
  • My Gateway GM5407E has the same problem... I've been wondering in a MS update caused it... but that may not be if people are still having the problem after a clean install.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:13 AM
  •  

I just chatted with Gateway Support who suggested I open up my case and remove my memory from the motherboard, to ensure there is no static buildup. I've done so and now I'm waiting for results... I'll post the results in a day or two. In case anyone reading is not computer literate, be carefull getting inside your computer... a jolt of static electricy from you could be even worse!
    Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:11 AM
  • Gateway cust support suggested physically removing the memory in case there is static built up. I've tried this and will post the results in a day or two... meenwhile, to anyone not very computer savy, be carefull if you try this... one zap of static from you could fry a lot more than memory!

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:14 AM
  • Sorry for the double-post... the site errored the 1st time...

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:14 AM
  • VISTA FREEZE PROBLEM SOLVED! I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I'll give all the steps I was given and what eventually worked.

Gateway customer service asked me to do the following:

-Run windows recovery utilities in right after BIOS loads (on a gateway, it's F8 right after starting the PC). This didn't solve my problem, but may help you. Most users propobly don't know those tools exist.

-We tried rolling back to an earlier recovery point... but we couldn't get it to work.

-As mentioned before, we pulled the memory out to ensure not static charge.

-Finally (this seems to be what did the trick), we went into MSCONFIG, deactivated everything, and I read each item to Gateway tech support, who told me what to check and what not to check (basically, anything with Microsoft, Intel, or our Virus Scan/Firewall programs were allowed to remain, everything else was deactivated). It now seems to work just fine! I've got to put in a good plug for Gateway's customer support... they really did help with this.

Hope this helps someone!

Saturday, August 04, 2007 4:32 AM
  •  

I have eliminated 95% of my lockups by removing mcafee virus scanning software. If you are using p2p software it thinks you have a email spam program running it then kicks in emproxy which runs at 100% and locks up your computer, if you do get an error after reboot Vista reports you have a video driver error, but that's only because it didn't have any cpu available to display graphics. Even when I unchecked the email features it still triggered emproxy. Emproxy did not show up in Applications or Processes, I had to click on Resource Monitor at Task Manger/Performance tab. Expand CPU section. Sort by CPU and watch for programs that start using a lot of cpu. You may find other programs may have a similar problems. I now use free avg virus software instead.

Still have problems with Explore crashing all the time when moving and copying files.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Olorin's suggestion about going into msconfig appears to be the winner.  I went and disabled all non MS/Intel/HP stuff, which only amounted to 3-4 items, and I have been crash-free for several days now. Microsoft also jsut released a patch that is meant to help with reliability which I have just installed: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AE2F819D-C33D-48DB-A7E3-62EEF7C1F7C2&displaylang=en

Good luck all.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:05 AM
  • Ok, I'm having the same problem with Vista Ultimate.  Sometimes -- not always -- my PC will lock up when the screensaver is on.  I can't figure out what causes this to happen.  However, I have noticed that my hard-disk access light is flickering on and off rapidly when the PC is not responsive, indicating that some kind of activity is going on.  I've tapped the keys and moved my mouse and even tried unplugging some USB devices, all to no avail.  The hard-disk access light just keeps going and I've waited up to 15 minutes with no satisfactory results, necessitating a hard re-boot.  The funny thing is, when Vista starts after the hard re-boot, I get the screen saying that Vista was not shut down properly and to choose from the following options, etc.  The default is to start Vista normally with the countdown seconds displayed next to it.  Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't change it to one of the other options and have to wait the 30 seconds until Vista starts in normal mode. 

I'm wondering since my hard-drive is being accessed when the PC is locked up if this indicates the built-in desktop search feature is running?  Could this be the culprit? 

Thursday, August 09, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Same problem with a new HP Pavillon (a1730n) iwth Vista Home Premium pre-installed. Only Norton has been disabled. Freeze-up typically occurs during switch from one user to another. Windows "wait" icon will run forever requiring reboot. Wife hates new PC and Vista....Thanks Bill Gates.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Same problem as most.

New Gateway GM5424 w/ Core Duo 2.13 GHZ, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 400 GB HD, GForce Nvidia 7300LE, Vista Ultimate 32- Bit

1 Week old, purchased thru Best Buy online deal.

Freezes constantly when trying to log back in after screen saver was running.

1st began when trying to download and install iTunes.

Never completed install, just hung w/ no access to task manager or anything else, forcing hard reboot.

Have done clean install of Vista 3 times already hoping to fix the problem to no avail.

I'll try above suggestions and report back.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:03 PM
  •  

I know that the thread is a little old now but here we go:

I have the same problem with a slight variation. If I leave the PC while it has frozen, more often than not, it will sort itself out after around 5 minutes. At the same time, I have 4 hard drives int he PC and occasionally an external. They are all SATA and I spread my programs, music, windows installs and games across various HDDs. Heat is not a problem however it did blue screen once due to a power distribution issue....more on that later. I also use a FoxConn MB which is known to cause some of these freezing issues.

Here are some ideas to try and some ideas from other forums:

If the motherboard is older (I mean over 6 months btw)  or you are using a Dual Core, have a look at the manufacturers web site for updated BIOSs. FoxConn owners especially as I knbow that updates have been received. I won't accept responsibility if you do take it onyourself to flash your BIOSs though. Make sure you know what you are doing, back up your data first and ensure that you are 100% sure you know what you are doing. Flashing the BIOS can destroy a motherboard if its the wrong one or fails to flash correctly. Be warned. Saying that, some BIOS have been released which will help to add compatibility and efficiency within Vista.

Another possiblity is to download new drivers. Vista will usually install its own drivers for your motherboards automatically, but a quick look in the driver details might reveal that they are microsofts own drivers. See if you can find the manufacturers drivers. Most have them now.

Power distribution has caused instability in my PC before. I have a stable expensive PSU to handle my components but loaded all of my HDDs onto one rail. Stupid in hindsight I know, especially seeing as my PSU has a modular layout giving 4 12V rails. Balance the Load on the PSU or check at least to make sure it is. I don't want to insult intelligence but especially on custom builds.

Finally, I personally believe the freezing issues to be related to hard drives. Everytime my computer freezes, after a while, I hear the Hard drives spin up again, like some of them were turned off. I know there is no damage as XP is dual booting and works flawlessly. My suggestion is to check the devices set ups in the bios, Windows system manager, and check properties fromt he my computer screen.  Also check 'local disk managment' options (Right click computer and click manage and allow the stupid security thing) . Of coarse there is also error checking and defragging as a last resort.

Hope some of this helps. For me, updating to official foxconn drivers certainly helped to stop the freezing. It turned outt he USB controller was not booting properly. It still freezes a little on start but doesn't crash as much.

Jon Bartlam

For personal help, you can TRY me at jonbartlam@uku.co.uk, but i don't promise anything and won't be held responsible for any advice given that goes wrong or causes software/hardware damage. Just a general disclaimer!

• Proposed as answer by Tae Song Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:23 PM

• No Offence guys but I'm kind glad some one is having this same problem besides  me.  Its driving me nuts. It freezes at any random time, but garanteed when left alone for 10 minutes or so. Thats after the screensaver comes on. Bought new from CompUSA and they say its not a problem or something I have done. After reading all of this and others we will talk again trust me.  The freezing started about a week after setup and nothing changes it. I have uninstalled Norton and gone back AVG. I have turned off services I thought were not needed. I have scanned with every program I can. Searched Windows Updates in case I missed something and even removed a couple I was worried about. And re-installed Vista Home Premium twice and skipped re-loading several programs that I thought may cause a compatibility problem. Nothing,, it still freezes me into a hard -reboot. Even added more memory..
     I will try disableing  a complete list of services I picked up earlier. If that does do it. Its back to the store.

Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire T690
    Dual Core at 1.6Ghz each
    2038 mG Ram ona 32-bit system
    Using a D-link wireless from another machine to get internet

I'll yell if anything works\\

Richard
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:50 PM
  •  

Ladies and Gents. I Fixed my problem.

For solutions (which will probably only be applicable to certain motherboards) try your manufacturers web sites. navigate to the 'Drivers' section and search for the EXACT motherboard model on that section. (That last big is IMPERATIVE)

You are looking for the most up to date BIOS. Most motherboard manufacturers make an application that easily allows you to flash the BIOS from windows so look on your motherboard/driver CD. This fixed my problems COMPLETELY.

Any motherboard older than around 6 months might well have compatibility issues with vista. This is most likely due to Vistas new way of handling hardware which is very different from that of XP.

WARNING - This is not to be taken lightly - if you are unsure of how to do this, get a proffessional to do it. Flashing the BIOS with the wrong BIOS (if you download the wrong version for your motherboard) or if it fails to flash correctly, unless your motherboard supports dual BIOS, you can kiss your motherboard goodbye. Flashing nowadays is moderately safe however you have been warned and I take no responsibility for underqualified individuals not knowing how to flash correctly (or qualitified people for that matter)

So, flash the BIOS with an updated version. Foxconn users - there WILL be updated versions of the BIOS on their web site. The last update for mine was just 1 month ago. This should solve many peoples problems I think.

Just to explain my logic here - If Vista stops working AFTER a reinstall, and XP works ok, this rules out possible Software problems almost definately which puts it down to one of 2 things. Failed hardware OR incompatibility/Conflicts with vista and your hardware. (this is the most likely explanation, not the definate one) Assuming you know that your hardware has not failed (this is quite unlikely to happen unless you enjoy treating teh PC like a snow globe or unless its really old), this leaves an incompatibility. Before installing Vista, the only part of the pc that runs are simple instructions from the BIOS before checking for a boot partition on the hard disks. Anyhow, I suspect that any motherboards that have recently come out may have bugs in the BIOSs (afterall, it is just software) or be old enough to have compatability issues with Vista's new driver structure. There is no harm in trying this (unless the flashing process fails....then there is) and since I flashed mine, I have noticed a big speed difference from within Vista.

Also, FYI, Bios updates can also improve support for Dual and Quad core processors, improve efficiency of the motherboard overall and generally help overall stability.

Just to give you some idea of who I am by the way (No, I'm not being self righteous), I'm a technical manager for a small company (Compact data management - www.compact.uk.com) in the UK. I maintain the systems and server there. (I have the usual IT qualifications to go with and plenty of experience.....mostly bad when it concerns uneducated people)

Feel free to e-mail me at jonbartlam@uku.co.uk and I can try and help but as I have said before, I will not accept liability for any advice I give. Can't be too careful in this sue happy world. Compensation, courts, how can anyone feel safe trying to help someone else anymore?! Anyways......I'll stop moaning.

Hope this resolves some peoples issues

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:28 PM
  • im having same problem with my XP Pro machine when Downloading or transfering via network and all i can do is Hard boot the system to have it do the same thing over again and i have no disk to reinstall or anything

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:30 AM
  •  

I am having a similar issue.  But mine happens ONLY when playing World of Warcraft.  I have:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor

2x MSI GeForce 8600GT NX8600GT Twin Turbo Video Card running in SLI

2x Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Desktop Memory total 4gb

Vista Home Premium 64

Random lock ups in game only.  Haven't noticed problems anywhere else.  This thing is fast, but the lock ups are getting annoying.

Just installed SP1, hopefully somthing got fixed.

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:27 PM
  • PhoenixAZ, u just click enter, u don't have to wait 30 seconds ,but what i think the prob is is that vista has problems with pci interfaces, i know it has something to dowith that or I/O panel problems. for everybody, go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer and expand errors and it should show u n error with the source named ACPI, like i said should, cause to me, that's the cause .then click the last error that occured with that source (ACPI), click on view all instances of this event (right side of screen). when it loads it will give you the list of all ACPI errors.

"IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 7, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

the pci slot number varies (7,2,6 is what it gave me.) well that's what it says for me. if i calculated right, i got the error 57 times!. witch i don't doubght. like i said b4 it freezes to somehow reload the pci slot meaning that they should try fixing that ACPI bug real soon. apperantly it might, might doesn't mean it is, that u need to update your BIOS or motherboard drivers because ACPI somehow won't find any IRQ (interrupt request) for pci slots. that's all i can say for now. that's all i know

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:32 PM
  • wow, I thought it was just me.  but then again, it could still be me.. All I know is I've never had so much trouble with a comuter locking up and files getting so messed up.  does anyone have any suggestions on burning cd's?  That is ina reasonable time and without haveing to purchase any more software,

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Brand New HP Pavilion Entertainment dv9700 Laptop PC
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit w/ SP1
    Nvidia GC Onboard

I was going to shut down my laptop and I accidently clicked the Lock icon on the Vista Start menu next to Sleep and Sign-Off. Now I can only do hard-reboots and my screen is completely blank. I don't even get the BIOS startup. Can someone help me? I bought this laptop on August 16th, 2008 at Best Buy #4.

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:21 PM
  • This is happening on my gateway laptop. Worked fine for over  a year.  I was sure it was a recent update, but I can't restore previous point.

What sounds different from the above. Mine locks up everytime I turn it on (even in safe mode) after about 2 minutes of run time. Not enough time to run any diagnostics.

Got the runaround from other places, can't find a solution...

I may have to take it in for service, but I'm 2 hours away from anyone I trust.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:55 PM
  •  

I have the same problem.  My Acer laptop boots up and after 2 minutes or so it locks up.  The only difference is that mine does run on safe mode.  I tried to reinstall the system using system backup, it worked for a few days and the problem came back.  McAfee and SpyBot don't find anything.  Did you figure out how to fix this?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:55 AM
  •  Vista freezes up because of conflict between Vista Update and McAffee Total Protection

That's what is happening in my case that I describe above.  Every time Vista starts doing an automatic update my computer froze up.  When I turned off McAffee on the system configure for start up and then let the update happen, the problem went away.  That is why my freezing up was so erratical and came back even after doing a System Restore and reinstalling McAffee (the later by suggestion of the support for this software), it only happened during Vista updates. 

I don't have a permanent solution for now, but for the next update I just set Vista to let me know when one is available and not download it.  Then I hope that just by turning off McAffee, downloading and installing the update and then turning McAffee back on will work.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:40 AM
  • My Toshiba A205-S7464 is freezing up as well.  I cant find anything that helps.  32-bit Vista pre-loaded and I have a 180GB HD and 2GB of RAM.  Anyone have any ideas?  I can only get on the net and do anything when in safe mode.  If I load it up normally it freezes no matter what I do.  Please help!!!!
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 6:30 AM
  • I stablish the power configuration in power button, so when I push it, my laptop hibernates.

If my monitor doesn't respond, then I push the power button and my laptop hibernates, when I turned on my lap again, it starst normally.

It's the way I solved this problem.

bye

Mariogup
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:20 PM
  • The freezing issue just hit my Dell Precision M2300 laptop with an nVidia Quadro FX360M video card.  Some notes: I am currently working in Italy, so my computer is running a bit hotter that it does in the US due to electrical differences.  So what happened is that my computer started running much hotter and this lead to freezes that could only be corrected by hard boot.

The solution I found was to remove a Microsoft hotfix KB952287.  So the hotfix was removed and hidden.  While this did help a little, my computer was still running hotter and was freezing, but not as frequent. 

Through many trial and errors, I could not resolve this issue.  Even tried rolling back the nVidia driver, reinstalling the OEM driver and other non related solutions.  Finally while checking Windows updates, I noticed that there was an optional nVidia video driver update (one early on that I had installed many months ago and forgot about). This update only became available because I had reinstalled the original driver.  This update was not available on the Dell website nor the nVidia website. 

So after installing the nVidia update (Rel. 7.15.11.5669 10/4/2007), my computer was running less hot and has not locked up since.

Note: KB952287 Overview - Install this update to resolve an issue in which a malfunction or data loss occurs when using Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) components on computers that are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.

My issue was due to a faulty mother board.  thanks to Dell for a quick response and fix.

• Proposed as answer by ZuSoo Monday, September 21, 2009 5:40 PM
    • Edited by ZuSoo Monday, September 21, 2009 5:42 PM
    Monday, April 06, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Story:
    I had problems with Vista locking up frequently when I upgraded to Windows Vista 64-bit on 7/26/2009. I would leave the computer alone for a period of time about 10 mins or more and when I came back everything seemed OK, at first glance.  But once I tried to do anything it became apparent something was wrong.  I could move the mouse or tap the keyboard to get out of screen saver (blank screen).  I could minimize windows, but I couldn't start or close open applications.  It seemed like all or almost all disk activity had stopped, but I could move the mouse cursor around and click on icons.  Eventually, the Desktop would be greyed out and I would be forced to press reset button to break out of the dead lock. I did try waiting over night to see it would come back from whatever it was trying to do, but it was still locked up.  Windows reports no problems in Event Viewer related to the problem.

I did think it was a hardware problem at the time and tried various diagnostics on memory, CPU, hard drive.  I eventually found that running HD diagnostics while I was away seemed to prevent the lockups.  Did surface scans, lots of them on 1TB drive and two 500GB drives and even found some bad sectors.  It wasn't the bad sectors causing the problems though.

One day, I happened to notice defrag running in the background using about  25% CPU, but very little hard disk activity through Reliability and Performance Monitor (RPM).  I had RPM up pretty much all the time in the hopes I could find the offending app or event that was causing the freeze up.  I caught DfrgNtfs running without actually doing anything (using up a lot of CPU time, but no corresponding hard drive activity you would expect).  This was frequent enough I decided to take it out of the equation, so I went in C:\Windows\System32 and renamed it to DfrgNtfs.exe to DfrgNtfs_BAD.EXE (have to take ownership of the file in security tab, before you can do this).

The lockups stopped altogether after that.

Symptom:
    Vista starts to freeze up when you are away from the keyboard for several minute... but it can (rarely) even happen when you are at the keyboard.  Mouse works OK.  Open windows can be minimized, but not closed.  No new apps can be opened.  Right-clicking on Desktop eventually leads to it being greyed out.  DfrgNtfs.exe is activity using as much as 25% CPU time, but hard disk activity is same as when computer is idle.

Solution:
    Take owner ship of DfrgNtfs.exe (6.0.6001.1800, 176,640 bytes, 1/20/2008) in Windows\System32 directory and rename it.

Defrag runs on a schedule, so it can and will run while you are at the keyboard.  It will also run when the computer is idle and the user is away.

Equipment:
    Intel Q9550 (Core 2 Quad, 2.83Ghz)
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
    G.Skill 4GB (2GB x2) 1066Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 295 (Single-board)
    Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    Western Digital Caviar Green 500MB x2 (1TB, RAID 0)
    Gigabyte i-RAM 4GB RAMdisk
    Asus Xonar DX (Sound card)

Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit (SP2)
    • Proposed as answer by elmyo Friday, June 10, 2011 9:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by elmyo Friday, June 10, 2011 9:36 AM
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Hey,

Thanks for the tip.....I tried the MSCONFIG, and it seemed to work for me too. ;)

Cheers!
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:46 AM
  • If you have dell call them and argue with them awhile they will send you windows 7 and it should help. or go www.win7.dell.com i am not sure if the link will help you though.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Hey Brother,

I now it has been some time since you complained about this issue and I was wondering if you still have the issue or ever got an answer?  It seems I am a few years late in getting caught up to the rest of the bunch of folks having this problem!  My problems just started about a month ago.  I guess that was luck on my part to have not had problems early on.

I would appreciate any input you have gotten thus far as to what the problem might be and how to correct it.

Cheers,

Rick

Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Hey

Help im getting it too. Has anyone found the definitive solution for this? Ive formatted and reinstalled 4 times now, and every time the issue starts up again. It randomly freezes either black screen and cursor or swirly waiting icon. Nothing will stop it..task manager wont load all i can do is hold down the power button. Ive done hard disk tests and reseated the memory but there seams nothing wrong with the hardware. Im making sure all updates are done up to service pack 2 each time ive reinstalled windows but this makes no difference. Ive also run virus checks and nothing. Ive completely uninstalled Mcafee with their removal tool in case it was that but its still happening. Ubuntu is running at the moment fine but I want windows back and working like it used too :(

Please help if you've figured it out..

Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:42 AM
  • I was having same problem with Vista screensaver.  I was using Photos.  I changed to Ribbons and seems to work fine now....

Oops - lockup again.  I noticed it occurred following Norton Security idle time scan and now it works like it should.

Saturday, January 22, 2011 4:33 AM
  • It's on selective start up, and you don't want that. You need to have a normal boot without it freezeing up.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:22 AM
  • I tried renaming DfrgNtfs.exe to DfrgNtfs_BAD.EXE but 15 min later, my Dell XPS M1330 laptop froze-up again.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:44 AM
  • I've been running Vista for about a year, but since Windows updates on Sept. 8th, 2015, my 7 year old computer is freezing up randomly. I'll be doing a virus scan or a file transfer or a Windows Defender scan or nothing, and my computer just freezes up and the clock stops, then I have to hard shutdown. I did bootup in Safe Mode for a couple of days and there were no freezeups. I disconnected my external hard drives for normal mode and it froze up. I don't have anything in Event Viewer that corresponds to the time of the crashes. I defragged the machine near the start of this and also ran Disc Cleanup. I'm thinking maybe I need Laplinks' Self Erase to claim back space from deleted files that weren't fully deleted. These freezups remind me of when my dad's MS-DOS machine ran out of hard drive space (250 MB). I've got 200 GB free, but if it's gonna act like Android 4.2 instead of 4.4 with TRIM support, I may have to buy a new hard drive and clone the old ones.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:14 AM