none
Outlook 2016 opening attachments error RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed outlook 2016, and everytime i receive an e-mail with an attachment, i can't open it. I can save and open the file, but double clicking the attachment gives the message "We can't open 'c:\outlook temp file path\any type of file'. It's possible the file is already open, or you don't have permission to open it. To check your permissions, right-click the file folder, then click Properties." 

The computer has memory, disk space, and the user has permissions. I changed in the registry the temporary outlook folder location, but keeps giving the same error. It doesn't matter what type of file is. This error is random, if i open the file now, it won't work, but other time will open. I noticed, that a file after opening successfully, the error on that file will occur less. 

Thank you kindly for any help.

Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.4639.1000 64bits

O.S. Windows 10

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Arkarna,

Please first make sure the path for the temporary folder is valid.

Do you have some antivirus software running on this computer? If yes, please temporarily close them and then see if you can open attachment normally.

Besides, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter.

You can also install the newest updates to see if it works. Please refer to the details in this link to install KB4032235.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-PanModerator Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arkarna Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Arkarna,

Please first make sure the path for the temporary folder is valid.

Do you have some antivirus software running on this computer? If yes, please temporarily close them and then see if you can open attachment normally.

Besides, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter.

You can also install the newest updates to see if it works. Please refer to the details in this link to install KB4032235.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-PanModerator Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arkarna Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:36 AM
  • Hi Arkarna,

Have you tried the suggestion above?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:04 AM
  • Hello, thank you for the help. Installing the update solved the problem.
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:36 AM
  • You are welcome. If you have other questions about Outlook client, please feel free to post here. We are willing to help.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Hello there!

Sorry to hear that you're facing issues while opening Outlook attachments and that's very common. Most of Outlook 2016 users come across such scenarios often and there might be several reasons for the same. For example: your Outlook mailbox is out of storage, attached file is corrupted, Outlook is not updated and many other. Therefore, its better to extract and save all attachments from Outlook emails and save them locally. After this you can delete all the unnecessary emails from your Inbox and free up space and access your attachments whenever you want.

Save Attachments from Multiple Emails in Outlook

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:33 AM