none
Upgrade exchange 2016 CU5 to CU12 or CU13 Directly? RRS feed

• Question

• hi, everyone, 
    I have an exchange 2016, I wanna know can I upgrade it directly from CU5 to CU12/13 or not?

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:23 AM

All replies

• hi, everyone, 
    I have an exchange 2016, I wanna know can I upgrade it directly from CU5 to CU12/13 or not?

You can and should.

Note however:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/supportability-matrix?view=exchserver-2019

When upgrading Exchange from an unsupported CU to the current CU and no intermediate CUs are available, you should first upgrade to the latest version of .NET that's supported by Exchange and then immediately upgrade to the current CU. This method doesn't replace the need to keep your Exchange servers up to date and on the latest supported CU. Microsoft makes no claim that an upgrade failure will not occur using this method, which may result in the need to contact Microsoft Support Services.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:46 AM
  • Yes, you can upgrade directly, You would probably need to upgrade your .NET framework & VC++ to versions supported by the latest Exchange CU as the older CU would have older versions.

Regards,

Fazal

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Please note: Exchange 2016 CU10 and onwards will require the VC++ 2013 runtime library installed on the server.

So, you should install VC++ 2013, then you will could update Exchange from CU 5 to Cu 12/13 directly.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:05 AM
  • Hi MasoudTalebi

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 15, 2019 5:51 AM