none
Outlook 2010 message headers RRS feed

• Question

• Past versions of outlook allowed you to right click on a message in the inbox and view header info.  With Outlook 2010, you must open the message, then go to file, properties to see the header.  I personally consider this a security risk and believe the "old" way was much safer since the message did not have to be opened.

Am I missing another way to view header info on a 2010 outlook message?

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:52 PM

Answers

• That option has indeed been removed from the Context menu. You can add it to your Quick Access Toolbar though.

File-> Options-> Quick Access Toolbar
    Select All Commands-> Message Options...-> button Add-> OK

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by jackw09 Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:08 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:56 PM

All replies

• That option has indeed been removed from the Context menu. You can add it to your Quick Access Toolbar though.

File-> Options-> Quick Access Toolbar
    Select All Commands-> Message Options...-> button Add-> OK

• Marked as answer by jackw09 Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:08 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Thank you Sir.  It is sad for me to say I have been at it since MS Maik 3.2 and could not find this.  Gettin' old!!
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Robert: I was able to follow your instructions as noted above. I still do not see a properties option anywhere. Where does it show up, and/or what does it look like? Thank you, W. Schnegg
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:44 PM
  • It will show in the Quick Access Toolbar at the top of the Outlook window.
    For a screenshot and more detailed instructions see;
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/450

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Whether it'll change the mind of MSFT programmers or not, I still want to know WHY anyone would remove such a handy little item?  Beginning with Vista OS and Office 2007 it seems to me Microsoft's sole purpose was not to improve the product, but rather to scramble their user interfaces so we spend more time futzing around trying to find where they put things.   I say if it works, leave it there.  There is absolutely no reason to remove Rt Click --> Options, when actually removing it is a security risk.  Please put this option back, MSFT, and not just through an icon on the ribbon.  I know this comment will go  NoWhere.   But I feel better now.

Does anyone at Microsoft ever listen to end users' comments [rants]?  Or is it, "Just deliver the products" and we have to adjust accordingly?   Maybe in the next Service Pack, eh?

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Sadly, us oldschool users are good with 'all the options' in our face, but there are many younglings that freak out when they see so many buttons/commands/options. This is why MS did this, they were reducing the interface to 'dummy down' for the next generation.  I just thank God, they didn't remove the command from the core.  However, I think this command could be bundled in a 'report spam' tool that would send the email and header, then trace the route back and report it to the originaing ISP, and other ISPs along the path.  That would be the proper way to dum-it-down.  Maybe in the next Version, eh? Say by MS Office 2042, or at least before the second comming...

Jamie V Johnson CAD Manager/Database Developer

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:40 PM