recover forwarded emails exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I had a user go on holiday for two weeks – so I put a forward to a different mailbox – I did not check deliver to both forwarding address and mailbox.

The email was forwarded to a group mailbox which 10+ users use (as a secondary email mailbox) – during this 2 week period when email came in different users deleted the email of the person on holiday as they didn’t think it was relevant to them.

How can I recover the persons email who went on holiday for this two weeks?

Email retention is set to 14 days. Using Microsoft Exchange 2010.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 10:56 AM

Answers

• What is the Outlook version?

Using Outlook 2010 as an example...

In the mailbox in question (the group mailbox) go to the "Folder" tab and then the "Recover Deleted Items" tab.

You may be able to recover some of the mail: the user was gone 2 weeks and email retention is 14 days. The oldest messages are probably gone, the most recent possibly still there.

As for the others, you would probably have to resort to a backup. I would think that the backup (if you have one) of the database as it existed on the last day of the user's absence would have most of the messages (since even the earliest messages would not yet be purged from the Recover Deleted Items folders). 

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Marked as answer by cara chen Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:04 AM
    Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:33 PM