none
Is there an Sharepoint Server 2010 add-on download to make Adobe Acrobat Reader....readable? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to be able to make the occasional Adobe Acrobat Reader document available for viewing on our Sharepoint Server 2010.  How do I do this?
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, what exactly do you mean when you say "readable"?  Does that mean you want to be able to search for PDF's?
    Jeff Taylor SharePoint911 jeff@sharepoint911.com
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:11 PM
  • As an example:

- When I post a WORD document to SHARED DOCUMENT library, I see the WORD logo in the TYPE field, and clicking the NAME link will directly open the word document for viewing.

- When I post an Adobe Acrobat Reader Document to a SHARED DOCUMENT library, I see a 'generic blank document' logo in the TYPE field, and clicking on the NAME link requires that I save the document to my local drive to view it first.

I seem to recall that when I worked with WSS 3.0, there was an add-on for Adobe Reader that allowed you to view PDF's from the Sharepoint server.  Is there something that I still need to download for the Sharepoint 2010 server - an Adobe Reader (PDF) VIEWER - that would make reading PDF's from the site a bit easier?

Assistance in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:32 PM
  • You should be able to follow the steps on this blog post to enable the PDF icon within sharepoint.

http://www.sharepointsharon.com/2010/03/sharepoint-2010-and-adobe-pdf/

One thing to note is that Sharepoint will force you to download PDF's vs opening them with the Adobe plug-in unless you set "Browser File Handling to Permissive" within the web applications general settings.

• Proposed as answer by eCCentricVagabond Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by pbrill1 Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 10:51 PM