Outlook 2016 crashing Internet Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange error coming up on many users in the office when they open Outlook 2016 - "Internet Explorer has stopped working" . This keep poping up no mather how many time you try closing it.

It all started last Friday when I assume an Office Update kicked in.

I tried so far: Creating a new Office profile, run all Windows and Office updates, Repair of the Office package, run it as Administrator, Disabled Graphic acceleration....nothing seemed to be helpful. 

The only way to make it work is to actually re-installing the whole Office suit. This though installs an older version and I asume I will have the same issue once it gets updated.

Any help would be appreciated as more and more users are coming to me with the same problem.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 8:48 AM

All replies

• We are having the same aswell on a Windows 7 x64 - office 2016 (o365) machine (multiple).

When starting outlook 2016, it keeps bringing up the iexplore.exe crash, if you however press it like 50 times the error goes away.

Another thing we have found that if run outlook 2016 as administrator, the problem also disappears. Seeing that is not an option. 

Another option is to uninstall IE11, this also makes the message go away (no IE, no hidden proces)

This is what we have tried without luck

Reinstall office
    New Profile
    Uninstall Latest Win updates
    Disable AV solution (ESET)
    Delete entire folder (appdata/local)
    reinstalling IE 11

It's working now appearntly: uninstalled latest KB, then let windows update - reboot - error is gone (2 iexplores do get launched in the background however, wich is horrible design!!!!!! but it works)

• Edited by Rorap Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:03 PM
  • Do you know which KB you uninstalled?
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:15 PM

Not 100% sure but I thought it was KB4015549
    Atleast the latest april rollup update

Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

Does this issue continue if we try performing a windows clean boot?

What version of Windows OS are you using? 

In addition, could you provide the build number of the Outlook 2016 version you are using so that we can further look into the issue?

Thanks,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 8:45 AM

Not 100% sure but I thought it was KB4015549
    Atleast the latest april rollup update

Actually the fix was to disable UAC, Wich isnt a fix at all. But it's clear it has something to do with rights on the machines
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:13 AM
  • This happened on a Win 10 OS and Office 1703 version
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:15 AM
  • I already have UAC disabled for all users and the only way was to give them Local Admin rights for now. This is not a common practice in our environment therefore we have to find a fix
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:16 AM
  • I have a workaround for now. Hope Microsoft patches this quick.

I followed this:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html

And did the steps for outlook.

Atleast UAC works for the rest of the programs like this.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:30 AM
  • This is feasible for a small environment but when you have this issue on 30-50 users it is difficult to implelemnt it. Raised it with MS Support also and trying to chase them and hopefully get a patch.

Will keep everyone updated.

Friday, May 5, 2017 11:34 AM
  • A number of users in our organization also started seeing the IE pop-up when they start Outlook 2016. This started about a week ago. What resolved the error was to make sure that Windows Update had all the latest patch applied. Since our environment is controlled by SCCM/WSUS, the latest windows update aren't necessarily available to all the workstations. When the end-user (non-admin users) launches windows update, they see that everything is up-to-date. When a local admin logins in, the option to check online for Microsoft updates becomes available.

Using the check online option, Microsoft update found a bunch of new patches that was not applied from our SCCM server. Once those updates were applied, the user was able to log back in and launch Outlook 2016 without the IE pop-up. We will be working to see if SCCM/WSUS can push the latest windows updates to all workstations.

• Edited by MosesYee Friday, May 5, 2017 4:05 PM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi MosesYee

I have tried your suggestion on a few pc's and for some reason the install gets blocked by McAfee and it you only have to option to Uninstall it in order to continue with the install.

I'm not sure what Windows is trying to update/install that conflicts with our AV.

Very strange indeed

Monday, May 8, 2017 10:41 AM
  • I was having the same problem tried reloading office 2016 and it was ok for a day but to no avail .Then by change I removed webroot anti virus and the problem seems to have gone so that may be the problem for others hope this helps
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 6:18 PM
  • I run Office 365 personal on a standalone Windows 10 Pro at my home - all current updates installed.

I started having this problem last week after I installed Office update 1707, build 8326.2076

Reboot has not fixed it.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 3:07 AM
  • I also suggest running free Microsoft Inbox Repair Tool. You can find its detailed information here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/272227/how-to-repair-your-outlook-personal-folder-file--pst
    If it doesn’t work, then you can check some alternatives.
    References:
    http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/recover-outlook/top-6-best-pst-file-repair-tools-for-all-ms-outlook-versions-74517
    https://www.stellarinfo.com/outlook-pst-file-recovery.php

RAHUL Dot Net Developer

Monday, August 28, 2017 10:12 AM
  • Install 2017-05 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4019265) and it fixed it   Win7/IE11/Office2016

The error SOLVED was:

Firma problema:

Nome evento problema:                   APPCRASH

Nome applicazione:                           IEXPLORE.EXE

Versione applicazione:                      11.0.9600.18163

Timestamp applicazione:                  566c4c47

Nome modulo con errori:                 iertutil.dll

Versione modulo con errori:             11.0.9600.18163

Timestamp modulo con errori:         566c5a3b

Codice eccezione:                              c0000005

Offset eccezione:                                000cd208

Versione SO:                                       6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

ID impostazioni locali:                       1040

Informazioni aggiuntive 1:                0a9e

Ulteriori informazioni 2:                    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Ulteriori informazioni 3:                    0a9e

Ulteriori informazioni 4:                    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:53 AM
  • It's working now appearntly: uninstalled latest KB, then let windows update - reboot - error is gone (2 iexplores do get launched in the background however, wich is horrible design!!!!!! but it works)

The big question is: Why is IE being started by Outlook in the first place?  I recently changed from 32 bit to 64 bit and found the IE message that others have seen asking to start IE.  I ran Quick Repair (which, by the way, fixes a lot when changing from 32 bit Office to 64 bit Office) and the IE startup message disappeared but IE is still being started in background (the 2 instances are the base instance and the actual instance that is accessing some URL).  Killing the base instance takes away both (if you are on a 64 bit machine, the base instance is the 64 bit instance) and Outlook runs as normal.  So, why is Outlook starting Internet Explorer and what is it trying to access?  And if it is a quick check (for autodiscover, for instance), why is it left running instead of gracefully closing it?

Pete

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Spent Hours on this issue...

everything I found online does not fix the issue....

I uninstalled reinstalled IE11/ disabled IE11(worked but made  3rd part software useless that was dependent on IE11)

repaired Office, Uninstalled/Reinstalled Office

system restored to multiple dates.

uninstalled other 3rd pty software

ran windows updates.. ….

Malewarebytes did not find anything....... but……………….

my colleague installed SUPERANTISPYWARE, it found the culprit and fixed the issue!

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:48 PM
  • That's funny. I tried closing out the error 50 times like you stated because I was out of options. After the 17th time, the error went away. I have Windows 10 64 bit and the error popped up when I launched Outlook O365. I tried clearing the browser, resetting advanced internet Explorer settings, etc. Nothing worked. But I kept clicking the error to close it out and finally it disappeared....LOL.
    • Proposed as answer by Spankyjimbob Friday, February 16, 2018 4:40 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Spankyjimbob Friday, February 16, 2018 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 5:07 PM
  • HI All,

Had this issue on our 32 bit OS build. I discovered that if you gave Power user rights the issue goes away. but this wasn't the actual fix , just a workaround. The actual fix in our case was that UAC was DISABLED on our 32 bit build.

I have now set group policy to mimic level 2 UAC (one up from disabled) good link on how to do 

Be sure to disable "Application Install Detection" if you are running SCCM as recommended in the Group Policy explaination tab on the setting itself

Friday, February 16, 2018 4:48 PM
  • Sorry forgot the link

http://woshub.com/user-account-control-slider-and-group-policy-settings/

Friday, February 16, 2018 4:49 PM