none
Workflow Manager 1.0 (SharePoint 2013): The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception

Question

• I am seeing large numbers of the following errors appearing in the event log of the SharePoint 2013 application server hosting Workflow Manager 1.0:

• Log Name: Application
      Source: Application Error
      Date: [Date/Time]
      Event ID: 1000
      Task Category: (100)
      Level: Error
      Keywords: Classic
      User: N/A
      Computer: [Application Server]
      Description:
      Faulting application name: Microsoft.Workflow.ServiceHost.exe, version: 1.0.20922.0, time stamp: 0x505e1b24
      Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16864, time stamp: 0x531d34d8
      Exception code: 0xe0434352
      Fault offset: 0x0000000000047b8c Faulting process id: 0x691c Faulting application start time: 0x01cfc2776b3f0d74
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Workflow Manager\1.0\Workflow\Artifacts\Microsoft.Workflow.ServiceHost.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll Report Id: b8157bf8-2e6a-11e4-9413-00155d38891d Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID: Event Xml:
    • Log Name: Application
      Source: .NET Runtime
      Date: [date/time]
      Event ID: 1026
      Task Category: None
      Computer: [same application server]
      Description:
      Application: Microsoft.Workflow.ServiceHost.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception
      Info: Microsoft.Workflow.Common.FatalException Stack: at Microsoft.Workflow.Common.Fx+<>c__DisplayClass2.<failfast>b__0() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
      Event Xml:
    • Log Name: System
      Source: Service Control Manager
      Date: [date/time]
      Event ID: 7031
      Task Category: None
      Computer: [Same application server]
      Description:
      The Workflow Manager Backend service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 895 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 30000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
      Event Xml:

The SharePoint 2013 farm is updated through the September 2014 PU (KB2995902).  Topology: 1 App, 2 WFEs.  Workflow Manager 1.0 installed to the App server.  Workflow Manager 1.0 cumulative updates one and two have not been installed.  The Service Bus Gateway and Service Bus Message Broker services are started.  The Workflow Manager Backend service can be started, but then quickly stops.

Thoughts?  Resolution?  I would be grateful for any assistance.

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Stephan,

If the script doesn't work for your situation, you might still need to re-install workflow manager as my first reply. If this is an production envrionment, I'd suggest you open a ticket with Microsoft support engineer to perform the re-installation. For your convenience:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Stephan Bren Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 07, 2014 1:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephan,

As I understand, you are encountering the issue that Workflow Manager Backend service terminating each time. May I know did you run the update cmdlets after you installed the updates for SharePoint server 2013? Please confirm it per the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn133867.aspx

If you haven’t run the updates cmdlets, I suspect this is an install issue. I’d suggest you re-install workflow manager to resolve the issue:

1) Leave WFM/SB Farm

2) Uninstall updates and application in the following order and one at a time:

Service Bus CU1

Workflow Manager CU1

Service Bus 1.0

Workflow Manager 1.0

Workflow Manager Client 1.0

Microsoft Windows Fabric

3) Log into SQL server and delete Service Bus and Workflow Manager databases.

SBManagementDB

SBGatewayDB

SBMessageContainer01

WFManagementDB

WFInstanceManagementDB

WFResourceManagementDB

4) Install in the following order one at a time through Web Platforms Installer:

Workflow Manager 1.0

Service Bus 1.0 CU1

Workflow Manager 1.0 CU1

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

• Edited by Rebecca Tu Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:13 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:11 PM
  • Hello Rebecca

Thanks much for bringing this to my attention: I was not aware of needing to update Workflow after updating SharePoint 2013. 

In answer to your questions

• No: I have not run the update commandlets per the article you referenced

Please note that Workflow was working fine before I installed the September 2013 PU. 

When I ran the troubleshooting script mentioned in this article, it returned this: http:/[AppServer]:12291/SharePoint/.

Please note that I have not installed any updates to Workflow.  Thus, I'm not sure about implementing your step 2) above.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:51 PM
  • Hi Stephan,

Quote:

Run the following Windows PowerShell cmdlets as an administrator from the SharePoint Administration Shell after the updates have been installed for SharePoint Server 2013, Workflow Manager, and Workflow Manager Client.

I believe that updates to SharePoint, workflow manager and workflow manager client all would need to run the update cmdlets maintain the connection between the SharePoint Server 2013 farm and the Workflow Manager farm.

Currently, please run the updates cmdlets first and see if it can be help.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

• Edited by Rebecca Tu Friday, September 26, 2014 1:32 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 1:32 AM
  • Thanks Rebecca - I'm planning to start implementing some of these recommendations this weekend, during a planned maintenance window.  Please keep this question open for awhile: I'll be reporting back to this thread my experiences in resolving this issue
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:41 PM
  • Rebecca

When I ran Copy-SPActivitiesToWorkflowService -WorkflowServiceAddress $svcAddress -Credential $credential -Force $true, this was returned:

Copy-SPActivitiesToWorkflowService : The HTTP request has timed out after 200000 milliseconds. At line:1 char:1 + Copy-SPActivitiesToWorkflowService -WorkflowServiceAddress $svcAddress -Credenti ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...WorkflowService:CopySPActivitiesToWo rkflowService) [Copy-SPActivitiesToWorkflowService], TimeoutException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.PowerShell.CopySPActivitiesToW orkflowService

Friday, October 03, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Hi Stephan,

Please check if the Service Bus Gateway and Service Bus Message Broker services are in started status. If they are, try restarting the services.

Regards

Rebecca Tu

• Proposed as answer by dhawalm Thursday, June 04, 2015 1:20 PM
    Monday, October 06, 2014 2:15 AM
  • Ran the script on my production farm: completed successfully (nothing returned).  However, no affect: Workflow Manager Backend continues to stop and restart.  Also installed September 2014 CU (KB2883068): still no affect.

Note: previously, I ran this script on my development farm, and this returned the error message I provided above.

Monday, October 06, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Hi Stephan,

If the script doesn't work for your situation, you might still need to re-install workflow manager as my first reply. If this is an production envrionment, I'd suggest you open a ticket with Microsoft support engineer to perform the re-installation. For your convenience:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

• Marked as answer by Stephan Bren Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 07, 2014 1:53 AM
  • Thanks - I plan to re-install Workflow Manager 1.0 this Saturday, during a maintenance window.  I'll report back here on my experience.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Workflow Manager 1.0 was fully uninstalled and then re-installed.  The Workflow Manager Backend service is not longer stopping.  Get-WFFarmStatus reports Running for both services.  Did not install CUs for either WF or Service Bus. Plan to do this at the next maintenance window.

Thanks for your assistance.  It really helped.

• Edited by Stephan Bren Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:45 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:42 PM
  • Below list of steps followed but still same error:

• Workflow reinstalled 
    • installed service Bus and workflow CU updates
    • installed SharePoint August CU 

errror 1:

Application: Microsoft.Workflow.ServiceHost.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: Microsoft.Workflow.Common.FatalException
    Stack:
       at Microsoft.Workflow.Common.Fx+<>c__DisplayClass2.<FailFast>b__0()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

error 2:

Faulting application name: Microsoft.Workflow.ServiceHost.exe, version: 1.0.20922.0, time stamp: 0x505e1b24
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16864, time stamp: 0x531d34d8
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000047b8c
    Faulting process id: 0x1a90
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0da7ac27a6ead
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Workflow Manager\1.0\Workflow\Artifacts\Microsoft.Workflow.ServiceHost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: 089fe001-466e-11e5-9443-0050568d252a
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:42 PM
  • UPDATE: This issue I originally opened this posting for appeared again about two months later, in December 2014.  Working with the 2013 workflow designer to troubleshoot this issue, through repeated testing, we were eventually able to narrow the scope of the problem to a workflow design error: the designer, in her workflow, was trying to match a GUID with an integer in one step, and so there was a type mismatch.  This caused the workflow to fail, but the failure appeared to present itself as a failure in the 2013 workflow infrastructure - at least this was how I interpreted the server and SharePoint event logs that I reviewed.  Once the type mismatch was corrected, the 2013 workflow ran without any issue.

vlnSharePoint: the issue you are experiencing may not be infrastructure related at all.  To troubleshoot, I suggest the following:

• Remove all 2013 workflows and then check to see if the 2013 workflow errors no longer appear. If none, this narrows the scope of the problem and it's likely not infrastructure related. 
    • Re-install 2013 workflow infrastructure, but don't publish any 2013 workflows! Then check whether there are any errors that appear in the4 event logs.  If none, this narrows the scope of the problem and it's likely not infrastructure related.
    • Do fresh install, then design and publish a very simple 2013 workflow: something that merely displays a message or some such.  Run this and see if any errors appear in the logs.
    • Do fresh install, then re-publish a production 2013 workflow.  Attempt to run this.  If errors appear, go into workflow settings and remove the 2013 instance that is running (if it remains in the running state).  Then see if this stops errors from appear in the logs.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:13 PM
    • i deleted all site collection to stop all running workflows
    • removed farm from service bus and workflow manager
    • uninstalled both service bus and its CUS 
    • uninstalled both workflow manager CU and workflow manager

then did fresh installation of workflow manger and service bus with all latest update

and able to join workflow and service to farm then getting some error in workflow logs:

Error 1:

Dispatcher encountered an unexpected exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.SystemSuspendSessionOnFailedConfiguration(String suspensionReason)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.SystemSuspendSession(String suspensionReason, SystemSuspendType suspendType)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.Isolate(AsyncCompletion callback, IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.Isolate(AsyncCompletion callback, IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)

Error2:

Dispatcher encountered an unexpected exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.SystemSuspendSessionOnFailedConfiguration(String suspensionReason)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.SystemSuspendSession(String suspensionReason, SystemSuspendType suspendType)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)

Error3:

Dispatcher failfast is causing the Workflow Manager backend to terminate. Exception: System.AggregateException: The dispatcher failure rate has reached 11%. InnerException is the last failure; see traces for other failures. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)<---

Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:35 AM
  • What are the error numbers for the errors that you listed?  Please edit your earlier response and add them.  Then perform these checks:

• Are all these Workflow Manager services and related services started? Service Bus Gateway, Service Bus Message Broker, Windows Fabric Host Service, Workflow Manager Backend
    • Do you see these Windows Server Application log events?: 1000, 1026 and 7031.  If not, what error numbers do you see associated with 2013 workflow issues you are experiencing?
    • Do you see these Microsoft Workflow log events?:358, 359, 19 and 10.  If not, what error numbers do you see?
    • Is the Workflow Management Site started in IIS?
    • Is the Workflow Management Application Pool started?  What is the account that this application pool runs under?
    • Is the workflow service account a domain account and is it a member of the local administrators group on the server hosting the workflow framework? If not, add it and then reboot the server to implement the security change.  Then check operation again.
    • Is the farm service account able to read the AD properties of the workflow service account?  meaning, is the workflow service account configured to grant AD Read to the farm service account?
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:06 PM
  • thanks Stephan and i am happy that you are  responding my query,  and my answers as below:

• Are all these Workflow Manager services and related services started? Service Bus Gateway, Service Bus Message Broker, Windows Fabric Host Service, Workflow Manager Backend

Yes  apart from Workflow Manger Backend service which continues  restarting every 5 mins and error log(Windows log/Application) is:

Fault offset: 0x0000000000047b8c

Faulting process id: 0x1438

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0dbe9dc165a85

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 222d9731-47dd-11e5-944d-0050568d252a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

• Do you see these Windows Server Application log events?: 1000, 1026 and 7031.  If not, what error numbers do you see associated with 2013 workflow issues you are experiencing?

Yes it is Event id 1000 and 1026

• Do you see these Microsoft Workflow log events?:358, 359, 19 and 10.  If not, what error numbers do you see?

Yes 358,10,19 359 error log event IDs under error log (Application and services /Microsoft Workflow/Operational)

• Is the Workflow Management Site started in IIS?

Yes it is running

• Is the Workflow Management Application Pool started?  What is the account that this application pool runs under?

Yes it is running

• Is the workflow service account a domain account and is it a member of the local administrators group on the server hosting the workflow framework? If not, add it and then reboot the server to implement the security change.  Then check operation again.

Yes its Domain Account

• Is the farm service account able to read the AD properties of the workflow service account?  meaning, is the workflow service account configured to grant AD Read to the farm service account?

Yes it is because there was no issue before CU updates all workflows are working absolutely fine 

Friday, August 21, 2015 8:28 AM
  • vlnSharePoint

• Has 2013 workflow every worked for you?  Were 2013 workflows previously created and run successfully?
    • Check local User Rights Assignments: does the 2013 Workflow service account have log as a service user right?
    • What is your farm topology and on what server is the 2013 workflow manager 1.0 installed
    Monday, August 24, 2015 2:43 PM
    • Has 2013 workflow every worked for you?  Were 2013 workflows previously created and run successfully?

Yes previous it was working absolutely fine after we updated Sharepoint ,Workflow and service Bus CU stopped working

• Check local User Rights Assignments: does the 2013 Workflow service account have log as a service user right?

Not clear what need to check But Workflow is running with farm account and previously with the same settings  it was working fine with no issue

• What is your farm topology and on what server is the 2013 workflow manager 1.0 installed

Single Mode (Development server)

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:23 AM
  • To view user rights assignments:

1. Go: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
    2. Expand Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment
    3. Verify that the 2013 workflow service account is included in the Security Settings for Log on as a service.
    4. If it's not configured with this, you need to grant it this right.

Iff you have a GPO being pushed out, you may also want to check the Resultant Set of Policy as well:

1. Logon to the machine using the SharePoint Setup User Administrator account (the account used to install SP)
    2. Launch elevated command shell
    3. enter MMC
    4. Add snap-in: Resultant Set of Policy
    5. Generate RSoP (right-click) on the account you used to logon
    6. Expand RSoP > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignments

This shows the actual final policy that is implemented, which should match with you what you see using the Local Policies tool.  

Some additional checks:

1. Try adding the workflow service account to the local Administrators group,restart the machine, and then see if this resolves the workflow backend restarts.
    2. Verify that the Workflow Client 1.0 is installed on each WFE
    3. Verify that the Workflow Service Application status is started.
    4. Verify that the farm service account is able to read the properties of the workflow service account.  Knowing that the workflow service account is a domain account is not enough: this account also needs its AD properties configured appropriately.  Check with your systems admin if you are not clear about this.  The workflow service account must grant the farm service account the AD Read permission
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:33 PM
    1. Go: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
    2. Expand Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment
    3. Verify that the 2013 workflow service account is included in the Security Settings for Log on as a service.
    4. If it's not configured with this, you need to grant it this right.

Iff you have a GPO being pushed out, you may also want to check the Resultant Set of Policy as well:

Ans: yes its already configured

1. Logon to the machine using the SharePoint Setup User Administrator account (the account used to install SP) Launch elevated command shell
    2. enter MMC
    3. Add snap-in: Resultant Set of Policy
    4. Generate RSoP (right-click) on the account you used to logon
    5. Expand RSoP > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignments

This shows the actual final policy that is implemented, which should match with you what you see using the Local Policies tool.  

Yes it is matching perfect

Some additional checks:

1. Try adding the workflow service account to the local Administrators group,restart the machine, and then see if this resolves the workflow backend restarts.

Ans : yes added still no luck

1. Verify that the Workflow Client 1.0 is installed on each WFE

Not applicable

1. Verify that the Workflow Service Application status is started.

Yes it is started

1. Verify that the farm service account is able to read the properties of the workflow service account.  Knowing that the workflow service account is a domain account is not enough: this account also needs its AD properties configured appropriately.  Check with your systems admin if you are not clear about this.  The workflow service account must grant the farm service account the AD Read permission

But as per my knowledge this security setting all are in place because previously there was no  error with workflow it was running absolutely fine after updating CU’s this crazy error heating my brain.

Friday, August 28, 2015 9:05 AM
  • I have been having the same issue and even created a new VM and the problem comes up still.

Are there no other logs for the WorkflowServiceBackend for the crash except event viewer in order to try and fix this?
    I have tried to find them, but no joy.

Michéle Johl

Friday, August 28, 2015 10:30 AM
  • I finally managed to get my Workflow Manager Backend service to stop crashing.

• Completely removed workflow manager by leaving the farm, uninstalling and deleting all databases.
    • Created a second VM and moved my AD to the new VM. (AD DC was running on the same VM)
    • Rejoined SP VM to the domain after removing AD DC roles
    • Installed Workflow Manager
    • Configured Workflow manager (Used SPFarm for service account)
    • Installed KB2799752 - Service Bus 1.0 CU 1
    • Installed KB2799754 - Workflow Manager 1.0 CU 1
    • Installed KB2902007 - Workflow Manager 1.0 CU 2
    • Registered SP workflow service

All is working now like it should.

The problem seems to have been that my single VM for development was the DC as well and according to documentation workflow manager does not support being installed on a DC. Sucks that I have to run two VM's for my dev environment, but at least I can dev workflows now.

Michéle Johl

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:54 AM
  • Michele

Conflict with the DC may have been the cause. However, it may have been something else.  For example, it seems that it is possible to successfully install Workflow Foundation to a domain controller, given one admin experience cited below.  Additionally, neither the Workflow Installation and Upgrade Guide or the TechNet Workflow Manager site, specifically recommend against installing Workflow Manager onto a DC.

For further reading:

Monday, August 31, 2015 2:39 PM
  • vlnSharePoint

At this point, regrettably, I'm not able to provide further assistance for the issue you are experiencing and I would recommend opening a ticket with Microsoft Support. 

Michele brings up an interesting aspect worth considering, namely, possible conflict with a DC co-hosted on the same server hosting SharePoint and Workflow Foundation.  This may or may not apply to your situation.  Another possibility is that you indicate that the Workflow client is "NA" above in your response. You need the workflow client running on each WFE - it must be installed.  This is installed by default on those machines on which you installed Workflow Manager.  So, I assume it's installed in your case, since your topology, from what I understand, is two-tier single-server, and so Workflow, SharePoint and SQL Server are all co-located.  Still, it's good to verify.

For further reading:

Monday, August 31, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Maybe it's too late, but I had the same problem.

And the cause was that one of the workflow running instance had an error. Workflow been trying to do the task and couldn't.

I've just completed the workflow instance and error has disappeared.

• Edited by SterSwift Monday, November 30, 2015 6:43 AM gramma
    Monday, November 30, 2015 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

Resolved the issue using Workflow CU3 Patch...

Deepesh Yevle -MCP MCTS MCITP ITIL

Thursday, January 07, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Thanks Rebecca,

You made my day. I had the issue on InfoPath and Workflow. Submitting the InfoPath form never ending (Sending data to server...) as well as in Workflow, when approver approve it (Working on it) never end and there is not outcome and the workflow is locked.

I was trying to find on the internet, but didn't get the exact solution. However when I see your answer and check the services on Workflow Manager. Then found out the Service Bus Gateway services is not running. After starting the service, the issue is gone. Thank you once again.

This was happened to us after the outage of the network connection in our environment. I was not realized that the workflow 2010 version is relying on the Workflow Manager Server.

So I have one doubt, is the workflow manager require to run in the SharePoint Farm even we are using 2010 version of workflow in SharePoint 2013/2016?

Regards,

Pyae

Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:19 PM