none
Issue with ProfileDB size sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I ran ActivityFeed clean up job in sharepoint 2013, which will remove all rows from table AvtivityEventsConsolidated in ProfileDB.I ran select statement and seen that there is huge reduction in rows count.

But when I see the size of mdf file on disk, there is no decrease in size.

Please help me to understand what is going here and how to reduce the size.

Thanks

Jyothsna

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hiya,

Shrinking the database will not violate the terms of use in relation to supported / non-supported state.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/841057

• Marked as answer by UshaJyothsna Friday, February 12, 2016 9:45 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Shrinking, once, is not a problem. However it is highly likely that the database will grow back to the same size in time as the activity events fill it up again.

If you are going to shrink then as a rule you should backup the database first, shrink it, re-index it, update the statistics and run a consistency check.

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hiya,

That table holds the social activities of your solution. You can trim the amount of days you wish to keep this in history. The ActivityFeed clean up inforces this policy and removes any activity that is older than the defined threshold.

The database default setting does not autoshrink the file. It should be that way. If you do not expect this database to increase in size, you can shrink it.

Let me know if you need any clarification on the above :)

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply. I heard, any activity on database will revoke Microsoft support. I want to know if shrinking the database, will not be a problem.

Thanks

Jyothsna

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hiya,

Shrinking the database will not violate the terms of use in relation to supported / non-supported state.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/841057

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Shrinking, once, is not a problem. However it is highly likely that the database will grow back to the same size in time as the activity events fill it up again.

If you are going to shrink then as a rule you should backup the database first, shrink it, re-index it, update the statistics and run a consistency check.

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hi

I had shrinked the DB and got about 50GB free space. I am not a aware of the activities re-index it, update the statistics and run a consistency check. I shall check in google and perform.

Thanks

Jyothsna

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:45 AM