none
How do I install Office 2010 64-bit on a machine that had Office 2010 32 bit installed on it? (Product Key Card)

Question

• Hi,

I have a 64-bit Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 64-bit installed on it. I want to reinstall Office 2010 (Home & Business) in 64-bit mode instead of 32-but mode that it automatically installed in.

I bought a Product Key code for Office 2010 with the new Laptop, which I bought about a month ago, new.

I have uninstalled Office 2010 and everything else mentioned at 64-bit editions of Office 2010

I also ran the relevant Fixit from How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

I am still unable to install Office 2010 64-bit from the download file I was directed to when I registered my product key card. It defaults to installing in 32-bit mode.

I’ve also installed a demo in the hope that that might solve the problem – it didn’t.

I’m uncertain whether the download setup file doesn’t provide the 64-bit option or offer it and report that there are files preventing the 64-bit install.

I'm desperate, because I have to be able to edit these big Excel files...

Can you point me to a download that will work - or advise me on what else I need to uninstall in order for the install to give me the option to install the 64-bit version?

Thanks very much.

Gary

Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have a 64-bit Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 64-b it installed on it. I want to reinstall Office 2010 (Home & Business) in 64-bit mode instead of 32-but mode that it automatically installed in.

I bought a Product Key code for Office 2010 with the new Laptop, which I bought about a month ago, new.

I have uninstalled Office 2010 and everything else mentioned at 64-bit editions of Office 2010

I also ran the relevant Fixit from How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?

I am still unable to install Office 2010 64-bit from the download file I was directed to when I registered my product key card. It defaults to installing in 32-bit mode.

I�??ve also installed a demo in the hope that that might solve the problem �?? it didn�??t.

I�??m uncertain whether the download setup file doesn�??t provide the 64-bit option or offer it and report that there are files preventing the 64-bit install.

Can you point me to a download that will work - or advise me on what else I need to uninstall in order for the install to give me the option to install the 64-bit version?

Thanks very much.

Gary

The only place you can get a install media download for a Product Key Card is: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/using-the-product-k ey-card-FX101853163.aspx

If it doesn't provide a 64 bit install download on that site after entering the 25 character product key then the PKC version can't be installed as 64 bit.  I suspect that you will have to purchase a retail FPP package to obtain the 64 bit installation disk.

Further check shows that the FAQ on the site says:
    "Hide Can I download a 64-bit version of Office 2010?

Yes, a 64-bit Office 2010 product backup is available. However, we recommend most users install the 32-bit version of Office 2010. The 64-bit installation of Microsoft Office 2010 products are for users who commonly use very large documents or data sets and need Office 2010 programs to access greater than 2GB of memory. There are some technical limitations with the 64-bit version and in order to install a 64-bit version of your Office 2010 product you must have a 64-bit supported operating system on your PC."

so apparently it is available from that site.
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:27 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a 64-bit Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 64-b it installed on it. I want to reinstall Office 2010 (Home & Business) in 64-bit mode instead of 32-but mode that it automatically installed in.

I�??ve also installed a demo in the hope that that might solve the problem �?? it didn�??t.

I�??m uncertain whether the download setup file doesn�??t provide the 64-bit option or offer it and report that there are files preventing the 64-bit install.

Thanks very much.

Gary

The only place you can get a install media download for a Product Key Card is: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/using-the-product-k ey-card-FX101853163.aspx

If it doesn't provide a 64 bit install download on that site after entering the 25 character product key then the PKC version can't be installed as 64 bit.  I suspect that you will have to purchase a retail FPP package to obtain the 64 bit installation disk.

Further check shows that the FAQ on the site says:
    "Hide Can I download a 64-bit version of Office 2010?

Yes, a 64-bit Office 2010 product backup is available. However, we recommend most users install the 32-bit version of Office 2010. The 64-bit installation of Microsoft Office 2010 products are for users who commonly use very large documents or data sets and need Office 2010 programs to access greater than 2GB of memory. There are some technical limitations with the 64-bit version and in order to install a 64-bit version of your Office 2010 product you must have a 64-bit supported operating system on your PC."

so apparently it is available from that site.
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:27 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Thanks very much - I think you must be right. I'll confirm with Microsoft on Monday.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Well, this is 5 months later, and today George at Microsoft Customer Support is advising that Office 2010 32-bit and 64-bit versions will have exactly the same functionality on my new i5-2500K Leo (April 04, 2011), "except the 64-bit is faster for all functions that you perform".

Nothing about multiple system conflicts mentioned 2 weeks ago concerning Athlon 64 AMD clone wars. I would guess that Microsoft's war drums are beating to the heart of 64-bit completion. Anyone can put that in more clear terms? He wrote: "beating to the heart," lol. Speechless!

lol means love or lost. Microsoft Store has jaded my 'expression' here, somewhat, but having the Office 2010 DVD makes 64-bit setup a simple snap: browse to:

[dvd drive root]:\x64\setup.exe ... then run c:\Windows\SysWOW64\cleanmgr.exe, then reboot and finally run DVD install. Fine print, Fix-It is for a few NAP networks.

I wonder if the install would work better copying "x64" folder to Win 7 64-bit Desktop, and running Setup directory from there? Better yet, Microsoft Update could trigger suitable Windows editions to option x32 or x64, when the installing system is running. Only then they would be ... liable [shudder].

[dvd drive root]:\setup.exe ... check your laptop compatibility.

The entire affair seems far too schizzy, perhaps inspiring the destructive compulsions of those with a bent to run after anything exciting, herein, default avoidance! ... and that's all he wrote.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:51 PM
  • The only place you can get a install media download for a Product Key Card is: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/using-the-product-k ey-card-FX101853163.aspx

I

For some reason your link isn't working let me try posting it again.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/using-the-product-key-card-FX101853163.aspx

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:41 PM