none
Failed to create the Configuration Database getting error. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have installed sharepoint 2016 on windows server 2016 (Server-1) and also install SQL 2016 (Server-1) on the same server run the config file worked fine i was able to open the central admin. 

Issue here is - After I installed all successfully launch the central admin my manager told me that we have a two different server one for SharePoint 2016 (Server-1) and one for SQL 2016 (Server-2). So uninstalled SQL from SharePoint 2016 server (Server-1) and installed SQL 2016 on another windows server 2016 (Server-2). 

So when i uninstalled SQL from (Server-1) I was not able to open the configuration wizard so i reinstall SQL on (Server-1). I know i messed up a lot her but please help. 

Then I run the Configuration wizard on SharePoint server (Server-1) --> I clicked on "Create a new server farm" --> Then under Database name I have added SQL 2016 server which is (Server-2) --> Database name= SharePoint_Config --> User name and password for (Server-2) SQL which is "ONE\s!sharepoint". This account has required permission to DbcreatorSysAdmin and SecurityAdmin. --> Added Passphrase --> under Specify server role i selected "Custom" as I am connecting to two different server (Not sure i am right here, Which role should i select here as i am using two server one for SharePoint 2016 and one for SQL 2016?) --> Then I specify the port number and select "NTLM" as a authentication provider. --> then click NEXT to configure the SharePoint 2016 but I am getting below error. Please help As this is my first time installing SharePoint. 

When I looked at the log files it says " Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: File Not Found

Please help me to solve this issue it's been so long I am trying to find the solution but nothing worked and I am not familiar with installation as I said this is first time installing. 

Thank you for your help and time in advance. 

priti patel

Monday, August 26, 2019 6:37 PM

Answers

• If you are using only one SharePoint Server and one SQL Server then use Single-Server Farm.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by priti59 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:50 PM
  • I would recommend if you are planning to use three Servers in SharePoint farm. In which One is SQL Server and other two are SharePoint Servers. I'd recommend to use the Custom MinRole on each Server as you can control what Service Instances get Started. rather than WFE & search.

If you are planning to use 5 Servers in SharePoint farm. In which Two are SQL Servers and from other Three Servers use Two Servers are Web Front End and Remaining other Server as App with Search.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by priti59 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:44 PM
  • Hi priti59:

After reinstalling the SQL in server1, whether the SharePoint farm is accessible, if inaccessible or the configuration database becomes corrupted, you will have to restore the functionality from the latest farm backup.

If true , change the database server via create a new SQL alias to connect to server2.

Here is the link for your reference:

How to change the database server in a SharePoint farm

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by priti59 Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi priti59,

You can use PowerShell command to restore farm from the backup files.

Restore farms in SharePoint Server

If you don’t need all the data or content in the SharePoint farm, you can uninstall SharePoint 2016 and SQL from the server-1, just reconfigure SharePoint 2016 in server-1 and use the SQL in server-2.

Only for one SharePoint server and one SQL server, you can select Single-Server Farm.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by priti59 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:54 AM

All replies

• Check the account which you are using to connect to SQL Server instance, make sure it has the required permissions/roles to create configuration database:
    1. Dbcreator
    2. SecurityAdmin

Also, please check the hardware and software requirements of SharePoint 2016, make sure you have matched:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SharePoint/install/hardware-and-software-requirements

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, August 26, 2019 7:25 PM
  • Hi priti59:

After reinstalling the SQL in server1, whether the SharePoint farm is accessible, if inaccessible or the configuration database becomes corrupted, you will have to restore the functionality from the latest farm backup.

If true , change the database server via create a new SQL alias to connect to server2.

Here is the link for your reference:

How to change the database server in a SharePoint farm

Best regards,

Grace Wang

• Marked as answer by priti59 Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Hi Grace, 

After reinstalling the SQL in Server-1 the SharePoint farm is not accessible. Cannot even access the Central Administration. How to restore the functionality from the latest farm backup? Would you mind tell me the steps to restore the backup?

Also, Is all issue resolve if I will uninstall SharePoint 2016 and SQL from the server-1 and reinstall it?

Thank you again for your help. 

priti patel

• Edited by priti59 Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:32 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hi Grace, 

Also I want to ask you that I have installed SharePoint 2016 on Server-1 and Installed SQL 2016 on Server-2 so what server role should i select from below? 

Thank you,

priti patel

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:42 PM
  • If you are using only one SharePoint Server and one SQL Server then use Single-Server Farm.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by priti59 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:50 PM
  • Hi priti59,

You can use PowerShell command to restore farm from the backup files.

Restore farms in SharePoint Server

If you don’t need all the data or content in the SharePoint farm, you can uninstall SharePoint 2016 and SQL from the server-1, just reconfigure SharePoint 2016 in server-1 and use the SQL in server-2.

Only for one SharePoint server and one SQL server, you can select Single-Server Farm.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

• Marked as answer by priti59 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:54 AM
  • Hi Grace, 

What if I have one SharePoint server and one SQL server and one search and index server? What role should I select in specify server role?

And also, What if I have 2 sharepoint server, 2 SQL server and 1 Search and Index server? What role should I select in specify server role? 

Thank you for your help again. 

priti patel

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Hello, 

What if I have one SharePoint server and one SQL server and one search and index server? What role should I select in specify server role?

And also, What if I have 2 sharepoint server, 2 SQL server and 1 Search and Index server? What role should I select in specify server role? 

Thank you for your help again. 

priti patel

• Edited by priti59 Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:25 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:25 PM
  • I would recommend if you are planning to use three Servers in SharePoint farm. In which One is SQL Server and other two are SharePoint Servers. I'd recommend to use the Custom MinRole on each Server as you can control what Service Instances get Started. rather than WFE & search.

If you are planning to use 5 Servers in SharePoint farm. In which Two are SQL Servers and from other Three Servers use Two Servers are Web Front End and Remaining other Server as App with Search.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by priti59 Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 5:44 PM