Installing exchange CU precautions and effects on custom configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to install CU of exchange, should I expect any loss of configurations (like in iis , authentication , etc) or any custom configuration?

Thank you

Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:34 AM

Answers

• I am going to install CU of exchange, should I expect any loss of configurations (like in iis , authentication , etc) or any custom configuration?

Thank you

What custom configs do you have? If you changed anything in the web.config for example, that will be lost in a CU upgrade and will need to be reset.
    • Marked as answer by Ibra86 Monday, July 24, 2017 6:57 AM
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:59 AM
  • What Andy said, and you may lose any OWA theme customizations and possibly IIS customizations like HTTP redirect.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:01 PM

All replies

Thank you

What custom configs do you have? If you changed anything in the web.config for example, that will be lost in a CU upgrade and will need to be reset.
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:59 AM
  • What Andy said, and you may lose any OWA theme customizations and possibly IIS customizations like HTTP redirect.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:01 PM
  • So can I copy the web.config before upgrading and place it back after finishing? or should reconfigure it?
    Monday, July 24, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Great advice from above, and I recommend to backup whole Exchange server before install CU.

We need follow below orders to install it: Mailbox server role, Client access server role, also internet-facing site first (Exchange 2013).
    Moreover, we can put Exchange server into maintenance mode, then install update on it. For your reference:
    Exchange Service Pack / Cumulative Update Installation Checklist
    Exchange 2013 Maintenance mode

Meanwhile, please keep on contacting us if you get a specific issue to install Exchange update.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:47 AM
    Monday, July 24, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Yes, we need to reconfigure it.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 7:14 AM
  • You could, but you risk wiping out any changes that the cumulative update might make to that file.  So I think the best approach is to reapply the changes to the new file instead of overwriting it with the old file.

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:42 PM