none
unable to open protected excel file (not sheet!) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a personal excel file that is password protected, I haven't been able to open it with my password. I know the password isn't incorrect, this is the error message I get  - The password you supplied is not correct. Verify that the CAPS LOCK key is off and be sure to use the correct capitalization.

This problem happened after some Windows updates were installed. I have Office 2016.

How can I open/unlock my file? The right password does not work.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked that the password you entered is correct? If it is your own password, please remember your password as much as possible.

Microsoft is very concerned about protecting customer privacy. So if you forget your password, sorry we have no way to open the file for you.

Hope you will remember your password soon.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

I'm checking the status of this thread.

If my reply is meaningful to your question, please mark it as an answer. It will help others to know the reason why we can't to help them open the encrypted files.

Thanks for your kind understanding.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any updates of this issue?

To help close this thread, please mark the reply as an answer, thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:29 AM