none
Your Digital Id Name Cannot Be Found By The Underlying Security

Question

• I am using Win 7 64-bit, Office 2010. When I receive encrypted email from co-workers, I get this:

"Your Digital Id Name Cannot Be Found By The Underlying Security"

I have tried reinstalling the certificate, importing it in the Trust Center (got a pop-up saying it was successful), etc etc. Nothing works.

Help!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check this kb, and follow the suggestions in it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258527

BTW, if this is the first time you using the encrypted messages, please make sure you've also imported your own certificate.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check this kb, and follow the suggestions in it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258527

BTW, if this is the first time you using the encrypted messages, please make sure you've also imported your own certificate.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Thank you, Max. I will try this and let you know how it works.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:41 PM
  • This solution should fix most signed or encrypted email issues you have in Outlook 2010 that are specifically assigned with getting only this error (if you are getting other errors then try the steps below)

The problem with the email is that either you do not have a certificate to decrypt the message or you both have certificates and they just need some settings reconfigured.

If you aren’t sure if you have certs, please VERIFY step 1. (Go to step 2 if you know you have one)

If you do not prefer to buy a PKI just to open an email, then have your sender send you emails that are not signed or encrypted. If this is not possible then buying a cert is a must.

STEP 1

Go to Outlook, Click:

File

Options

Trust Center

Trust Center Settings

Email Security

Next to the settings button should be the cert title, Close Outlook and go to step 2.

If it is blank and you click settings and you are able to choose a cert using the Choose button then do it and hit ok.

If they are blank you will have to buy one, there are plenty of External Certificate Authorities you can choose from.

Exchanging emails with DOD use: ORC

Exchanging emails with normal ppl: Also the above, but there is a free one offered by Comodo (I haven't tried it myself)

STEP 2

Please try these steps:

Go to Internet Explorer:

Tools

Internet Options

Content

Certificates

Personal

Advanced

Check boxes: Client Authentication & Secure Email

Hit OK, Close all windows.

STEP 3

Click Start

Type MMC (in the search programs and files bar)

Enter

Hit Ctrl + M

Double click Certificates

My User Account

Ok

Certificates – Current User

Other People

Certificates

Delete problem senders certificates

Close – Save console settings to Console1 yes.

Step 4

Go to Outlook

Delete the contact

Have contact send Signed email

Right click reply senders name

Add to contacts

Click Certificates

Select Cert

Properties

Trust

Explicitly Trust this Certificate

Hit ok, Save & Close.

Have contact send Encrypted email

Right click reply senders name

Add to contacts

Update

Save & Close contact

STEP 5

No links allowed here so: Search militarycac in browser, select dod certs, Download and install the latest version of Install Root ) Militarycac *.MSI version, there is a Non admin version which works great for domain environments.

Once installed Right click and subscribe to ECA root, then install certificates and save settings. This will add and correct any cert chain, that got messed up.

Reboot.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:18 PM
  • Nathan -

If you're ever in the Raleigh/Durham area NC, let me know. I owe you dinner and a drink.

I've been back and forth with DMDC, the local RAPIDS site, searching and trying every possible thing I could find to figure out what do when suddenly the CAC isn't working for encrypted email.

While I still don't know why, I do know that your step-by-step resolved my problems with my users.

Thank you so much!

Happy Holidays!

Chris R

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:48 PM