none
out going emails RRS feed

• Question

• we have two internal domains (@abc.com, @xyz.com) and two email gateways. Want to send external emails separately from each sending (internal) domains . e.g : @abc.com users will send mails from 1st email gateway and @xyz.com users will send mails from 2nd email gateway. any option.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have separate database server for two domain configuration ?

Like for 

@abc.com = EX1 EX2 

@xyz.com = EX3 EX4

If it match above configuration you can achieve your requirement.

for  @xyz.com can specify  SourceTransportServers (EX3 EX4) in send-connector and set 1st gateway as your smart host.

for  @xyz.com can specify  SourceTransportServers (EX1 EX2 ) in send-connector and set 2nd  gateway as your smart host.

HP

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Google for "RouteBySender for Exchange" - it can do exactly what you want.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please share the steps to get it done.

RP

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have separate database server for two domain configuration ?

Like for 

@abc.com = EX1 EX2 

@xyz.com = EX3 EX4

If it match above configuration you can achieve your requirement.

for  @xyz.com can specify  SourceTransportServers (EX3 EX4) in send-connector and set 1st gateway as your smart host.

for  @xyz.com can specify  SourceTransportServers (EX1 EX2 ) in send-connector and set 2nd  gateway as your smart host.

HP

that wont work.

Send connectors are forest-wide and can only be scoped by AD site.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:54 AM
  • we have two internal domains (@abc.com, @xyz.com) and two email gateways. Want to send external emails separately from each sending (internal) domains . e.g : @abc.com users will send mails from 1st email gateway and @xyz.com users will send mails from 2nd email gateway. any option.
    3rd party software or a transport agent for on-prem
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

If abc.com and xyz.com are in different site, you can create send connectors with different smart host. Here is an article about how to Create a Send connector to route outbound mail through a smart host, you may get detailed steps from it.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:11 AM

• If abc.com and xyz.com are in different site, you can create send connectors with different smart host. 

As far as I understand his  abc.com and xyz.com are in one organization. 
    Monday, July 29, 2019 12:07 PM
  • I believe you can do this with a send connector.  When you create a new send connector, you are also given the option to make it specific to a mail domain.

When this is done, exchange will look thru all the send connectors to see if any have a domain specific to the outbound mail domain of recipient of a message.  If there's a match, that connector is used.

There should already be on send connector created for '*', which means all domains.  When creating the second send connector, the priority would be set above the 'star' connector.

You can have then have the connector point to a SmartHost which would be the desired outbound gateway.

-Eriq VanBibber, CTO, Priasoft Inc.

Monday, July 29, 2019 1:00 PM
  • I believe you can do this with a send connector.  When you create a new send connector, you are also given the option to make it specific to a mail domain.

When this is done, exchange will look thru all the send connectors to see if any have a domain specific to the outbound mail domain of recipient of a message.  If there's a match, that connector is used.

There should already be on send connector created for '*', which means all domains.  When creating the second send connector, the priority would be set above the 'star' connector.

You can have then have the connector point to a SmartHost which would be the desired outbound gateway.

That wont work for different source domains. Thats what the question was about.
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:37 PM

Eric, the topic starter wants to route outgoing messages based on sender domain. Exchange 2016 has no such feature at all. 
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:39 PM
  • @victor - Yep.  Your correct.  I misread the question.  

From that, i don't think the request is possible solely from Exchange with only one mail server.

Sounds like an upstream non-Exchange gateway would have to be deployed to handle such a thing, like SendMail or similar that can have extensive rewrite or routing rules.

Monday, July 29, 2019 3:31 PM
  • Hi Richard Parrk,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful.

If you have solved your problem, could you share with us? Maybe it will help more people with similar problems. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:25 AM
  • @victor - Yep.  Your correct.  I misread the question.  

From that, i don't think the request is possible solely from Exchange with only one mail server.

In fact, you can route by sender using a single Exchange server and third-party transport agent.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 7:26 AM