none
How to Fix ''The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.' Error RRS feed

• Question

• How to Fix ''The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook.' Error, user has outlook 2007 connected to exchange 2010 server , I tried scan pst, configuring new profile but no luck so far. Please suggest !

Aditya Mediratta

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:58 PM

Answers

• Make sure Outlook is patched up to date.  If it is, try reinstalling Office.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:38 AM

All replies

• Make sure Outlook is patched up to date.  If it is, try reinstalling Office.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

Please try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps:

1. Open Computer > Local Disk C > Program Files > Microsoft Office > Office 12 > Outlook.exe.
    2. Right click on outlook.exe and click on Properties and then click on Compatibility tab. Uncheck the box ‘run this program in compatibility mode for’ under compatibility mode, click on Apply and OK.

Note: If you are using 64 bit computer then the file location of the file will be

Computer>Local Disk C>Program Files (x86) >Microsoft Office>Office 12>Outlook.exe

Similar thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa396c9e-0ce5-4de5-99e3-4f0d771b07e0/exchange-2007-messaging-interface-has-returned-an-unknown-error

Best Regards.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Ed i need your advice on another thread as well , would really appreciate you help on below. Kindly advise  :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/66b52af5-3314-4511-9f27-0c08b5db397d/why-do-we-need-a-disabled-ad-object-prior-to-migrating-user-from-one-domain-to-another?forum=exchangesvradmin#66b52af5-3314-4511-9f27-0c08b5db397d

Aditya Mediratta

Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi Aditya,

I had this issue myself using Microsoft Outlook 2003 using the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system and I want to share my solution. I received the error message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." each time I clicked the To, CC, Bcc, etc buttons.

1) Right click Outlook 2003 and start as Administrator.

2) In Outlook menu select -> Tools -> Options -> Mail Format Tab

3) Uncheck the box with Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages.

4) Click Apply and OK buttons

5) Close Outlook and relaunch the application by right click Outlook 2003 and start as Administrator

If you want to return to Microsoft Word for your email editor, you can follow the above instructions in reverse and you should fix the issue and will not receive the error messages provided you launch Outlook as Administrator each time. Not sure why but it would not work for me if I launched it without Administrator.

I also solved this issue by running the Outlook application in safe mode: Outlook.exe /safe

Hope that helps!

Delar

• Edited by Delar303 Monday, July 15, 2019 5:15 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 5:13 PM
  • Check out this article https://www.recoveryfix.com/blog/fix-the-messaging-interface-has-returned-an-unknown-error/ and know easy guideline on how to fix ''The messaging interface has returned an unknown error.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:43 AM