none
Outlook 2016 cannot download the OAB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

hoping anyone can help. Currently using Exchange 2013 CU17, Win10 64bit Enterprise, Outlook 2016.

my Outlook client cannot generated the OAB copy in the said client. however, i used the other test client with Outlook 2013 can have the local OAB cached.

I tried to delete and create a new local profile, by also deleting the whole Outlook folder under C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ but still no luck.

anything I can try?

thanks so much for the suggestion in advanced.

regards,

• Moved by Steve FanModerator Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:46 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>my Outlook client cannot generated the OAB copy in the said client. however, i used the other test client with Outlook 2013 can have the local OAB cached.

Are both clients configured with the same email account? Does this issue persists if we logon to the said client with another account?

Did you get any error message when we try to manually download the OAB via Send/Receive tab > Send/Receive Groups > Download Address Book?

Besides, OAB is by default downloaded to the path below. Please make sure you have proper permission to access the path and the Offline Address Book folder can be opened properly.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:10 AM
  • thanks for the suggestion.

i used the same email account in the test PC and it is working fine.

i just used another test account log in to the same Win10 PC and the outlook can also download the addressbook.

it seems only my profile in the PC cannot download the addressbook and there is no error in the process window.

any suggestion beside re-create the local user profile in the PC?

thanks.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

From what we have tried so far, it suggests that the issue is with the specific local user profile you are using in the PC. If we are running out of ideas, I'm afraid recreating the user profile is the last option.

However, before doing this, you may try to perform a Windows clean boot to see whether it helps. For your convenience:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Besides, we can also try renaming the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook registry key to see whether it helps. To do this, please follow these steps:

a. Close Outlook if it is running.
    b. Start Registry Editor.
    c. Browse to the following registry location:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook
    d. Rename the \Outlook part of this key to \Outlook-1.
    e. Restart Outlook.

When you restart Outlook, a new \Outlook registry key that has default settings is created in this location.

Please let us know the result.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:43 AM
  • hi,

i was running out of idea and did recreate the local profile.

the funny part is, the Outlook can download the OAB once after a new local profile created, but not any after. the Outlook keep showing updating addressbook and never end.

i tested in other PC with the same email account and never have this issue

the Outlook Version I am using:

the Win10 ver:

any idea any bug i encountered?

Friday, May 18, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Hi Freddy,

>>i just used another test account log in to the same Win10 PC and the outlook can also download the addressbook.

When testing with another account on this specific PC, does it download the entire OAB or just stuck in "updating addressbook" process as we tested with a new user profile?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:33 AM