none
Can I setup a software RAID in Windows Server 2012 R2 using Virtual Hard Disks?

Question

• Hi all;

As you can see in the following figure, I have attached three fixed size vhdx files in Disk Management MMC console, but creating software RAID on them is not available.

Creating RAID from attached virtual Hard Disks, is a supported scenario?

Thanks

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hello, this can be done within the Server Manager under File and Storage Services > Volumes > Storage Pools.

As you can see I've 3 extra VHD disks added to the server that I gonna use to setup a RAID set. Go to Tasks > New Storage Pool.

Give the storage pool a name and go to the next step.

Select the disks you want to add to the storage pool and configure the allocation, maybe you want to setup a disk as a Hot Spare. After you have configured everything go to the next step again and click there on Create.

Now you see that you created a Storage Space with your new created Storage Pool. Select the Storage Pool and on the Virtual Disks Tasks select New Virtual Disk.

Select the Storage Pool and click Next.

Give it a name and click on next.

Select the Layout option you want and click on Next.

Select the Provision Type and click on Next.

Select the Size and Next again.

After everything is good to go, click Create.

Next step is to create a volume so tick the option Create a volume when this wizard closes and click Close.

Select the new Virtual Disk and click Next.

Set the Volume Size and click on Next for the next step.

Give the new volume a drive letter or assign it to a folder and click on Next.

Set the File System Settings and click on Next.

Click on Create if everything is good.

After this step you have your 3 VHD's in a RAID5 set with a volume on it. Hopefully this post was somewhat useful for you.

PS: For the 8.3 file names option under File System Settings, here is an interesting read about the performance impact..

Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:34 PM