none
Cannot create email account in Outlook 2010 for user #3 on computer with multiple users

Question

• I have a new home computer with 3 users.  Purchased new Outlook 2010 and installed it.  Primary user is User#1.  First, set up 1 POP3 email account and 4 IMAP email accounts on primary User #1.  Second, set up 1 POP3 email account for User#2.  Logged in as User #3 and tried to set up an email account, bue Outlook won't open and displayed the error message below:

"Cannot open your default email folders.  File access is denied.  You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\users\user#1\Documents\Outlook files\user#1.pst.

This is a new installation on a new Dell computer purchased in April 2011.  OS is Windows 7 64 bit. Purchased and installed MS Office Home and Student 2010.  Didn't realize that Outlook wasn't included and then purchased and installed MS Outlook 2010.

I fix this?  Thank you.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi rkyclf,

Depending on your situation, I suggest you to create the separate profile for each user, and when they open Outlook, they will be prompted to choose which profile is going to be launched. To do so, close Outlook and follow the steps below:

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Mail -> Show Profiles -> Add...

2. After add the new profile for each user, select Prompt for a profile to be used and click OK to exit.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:38 AM

All replies

• Hi rkyclf,

Depending on your situation, I suggest you to create the separate profile for each user, and when they open Outlook, they will be prompted to choose which profile is going to be launched. To do so, close Outlook and follow the steps below:

2. After add the new profile for each user, select Prompt for a profile to be used and click OK to exit.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:38 AM
  • Hello Max,

I don't understand why this is required.  It seems to be a way to work around something that is not working correctly.  Doesn't Outlook 2010 recognize separate Windows 7 user accounts? 

By the way, I have 64 bit Windows 7 and noticed that I purchased and installed 32 bit Outlook 2010.  Could this be an issue?

If I go ahead and create separate Outlook profiles for each user account, will the users have to select their profile each time they login?  I would like each user to be able to click on the Outlook icon to open the program.  Will each user see three different Outlook profiles and click on their profile or will this be cascade effect i.e. first click on Outlook and second click on their profile?  Thank you for your assistance.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Since there was no response to my comment on May 15, I tried to follow the suggestion on May 11 from Max Meng: Depending on your situation, I suggest you to create the separate profile for each user, and when they open Outlook, they will be prompted to choose which profile is going to be launched. To do so, close Outlook and follow the steps below:

When I go to Start -> Control Panel -> Mail there is no mail icon.    I have Windows 7 and Outlook 2010.  Can anyone help?

Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:56 PM
  • When I go to Start -> Control Panel -> Mail there is no Mail.  What are you referring to ?  See below:

Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay respond.

It seems that your Control Panel is viewed by Category mode, so you can find the Mail from:

Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Mail -> Show Profiles -> Add...

--------------------------
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no such knowing issue between 32-bit Office and 64-bit Windows 7.
    And the 32-bit Office 2010 is recommended to be installed on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.

See 64-bit editions of Office 2010http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

----------------------------

And yes, your clients will see the other profiles, for they will be prompt to choose their own profile when they open the Outlook.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, June 06, 2011 1:14 AM
  • And, actually speaking, Outlook do will recognize separate Windows 7 user accounts. Just please make sure you have configured these accounts properly.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, June 06, 2011 1:33 AM