none
Is there a way to force search results to display word document titles? RRS feed

• Question

• With 2010 you could override Microsoft's "EnableOptimisticTitleOverride" with a windows registry change:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointgeneralprevious/thread/dc01077f-c27f-443e-b76c-8018df1ae564/#7177d980-14b2-413c-8d6c-cc979a1b39d6

We can't seem to figure out how to do this with 2013.  

What this "feature" does is sometimes override the entered title of word documents with what it thinks the title of the document is.  This is usually bold text in the header of the document or something similar.  So this optimistic value is now displayed as the document title in search results.  Although this sounds good in theory, in practice it's a mess.  

We have just started testing and have only moved over 1 site collection, and already we have 100's of documents with misleading or generic Optimistic titles being displayed in search results.  The biggest problem is any templated document that has generic text entered in the document header, like "AGENDA" or "MEETING MINUTES" for example.  Even though these documents have descriptive titles entered for them like "ABC Committee Agenda 2-6-2013", in search results "AGENDA" is being displayed.  What's even more ironic, is many of these templates were downloaded from Microsoft.  

Not only is this going to degrade the search experience for 2013, but it creates a training issue as well.  Are we supposed to start training people to enter a descriptive title in bold at the top of all word documents now?  

We tried submitting this issue as a bug for SharePoint 2010 to premier support, but were told it was a feature but luckily they was a way to disable it.  Now according to everything I've found online, there's no way to disable this? If anyone has a direct line into Microsoft, please ask for an option to disable this feature ASAP.  It doesn't work for all organizations, especially ones that have a large number of document templates.

Thanks.  

Nick Hurst

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:37 PM

All replies

• You must create a new managed property  and map only TermTitle and Title crawled properties. Then do another full crawl.  This has worked in my enviroment.

Blog | SharePoint Field Notes Dev Tool | ClassMaster

• Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Monday, July 15, 2013 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Unfortunately I believe that would require us having to go to every search center in the organization and every search webpart that is added to any page and change the default behavior to now display this new title field.  Which I don't think is really feasible for large organizations or organizations that allow site owners to add webparts to pages.  

I believe that this would also cause inconsistency with any contextual searches (searches performed from within lists or libraries themselves) as these automatically go the _layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx page which displays the title.  And if SharePoint 2013 is like previous versions, it's not supported (or even an option in 365) to modify this page.  

What also depresses me is I don't believe Microsoft ever fixed this behavior with 2010.  I'm hoping that enough people start seeing the unattended consequences of the OptimisticTitleOverride functionality and complain enough that Microsoft provides a maintainable solution to disable or manage this feature.  

Nick Hurst

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Even if we couldn't disable the OptimisticTitleOverride property, if we just had a way to manage it that would work as well.  So that way I could enter the condition:  IF OptimisticTitleOverride = "AGENDA" then use Title property.  I think that the OptimisticTitleOverride does work well for the majority of documents.  It doesn't work well for old documents (.doc) format or for templated documents though.  

Nick Hurst

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:11 PM
  • Any update on this?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:00 PM
  • I still haven't been able to find a solution for this problem.  This is an issue as we are looking to switching over to SharePoint 2013 search in the next quarter.  It's going to be a rude awakening for some site owners when their documents that they took so much time entering titles for now all of a sudden have a SharePoint Optimistic title displayed in search results.

Anyone have any ideas on how to work around this?

Thanks. 

Nick Hurst

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Monday, July 15, 2013 8:13 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 7:06 PM