none
Multi-point video conference

Question

• Hi, been trying to find a definitive answer on this and hoping someone can answer it for me.  Either built in or via plugin, can OCS 2007 R2 or Lync Server 2010 support multi-point video conferences?
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:52 AM

Answers

• Yes.

The video in OCS/Lync when in a conference only displays the active speaker. This is to reduce the amount of bandwidth required for participants. The server is receiving audio/video from all people, but only streaming the active speaker video to all users. Audio is normal like you would expect with any type of audio conferencing service.

Randy Wintle |MVP:Communications Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:57 AM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:16 AM
  • To clear up a few things:

You cannot switch to 'any' video stream in a multi-party video call.  The OCS AVMCU only sends data for two video streams to all participants, and it sends the exact same stream to all.  The two streams include the active speaker and the previous speaker.  This way the current speaker will still see the video of the last speaker, while all other attendees see the current speaker.  This prevents the active speakers from seeing themselves.  Any of the other attendees can manually switch between the active and last speaker streams.  They cannot simply choose video for any participant at anytime as the MCU is not sending that data to the attendees.

This is where a third-party conferencing bridge adds functionality to OCS as those hardware solutions are capable of embedding all active video participants (up to a certain number) so that participants will see multiple attendees at one time.  These solutions typically focus on the active speaker via window location (e.g. centered) or size (e.g. shown larger than other non-speakers).

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes it is supported but let me tell you in this way.

01. Multi party is supported but you will get 1 screen at 1 time and you can switch any time to any other camera.

02. If you have round table device than you can use panoramic view for the whole conference room.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2, URL: http://blog.WhatDoUC.net Phone: +923008210320
    • Proposed as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Trido Saturday, November 13, 2010 7:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jeff SchertzMVP, Moderator Monday, November 15, 2010 9:46 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:08 AM
  • You can use polycom Cx 5000
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

01. Multi party is supported but you will get 1 screen at 1 time and you can switch any time to any other camera.

02. If you have round table device than you can use panoramic view for the whole conference room.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2, URL: http://blog.WhatDoUC.net Phone: +923008210320
    Do you still hear voice from all conference participants while video is displaying one camera?
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Yes.

The video in OCS/Lync when in a conference only displays the active speaker. This is to reduce the amount of bandwidth required for participants. The server is receiving audio/video from all people, but only streaming the active speaker video to all users. Audio is normal like you would expect with any type of audio conferencing service.

Randy Wintle |MVP:Communications Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization | Winxnet Inc
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:16 AM
  • To clear up a few things:

You cannot switch to 'any' video stream in a multi-party video call.  The OCS AVMCU only sends data for two video streams to all participants, and it sends the exact same stream to all.  The two streams include the active speaker and the previous speaker.  This way the current speaker will still see the video of the last speaker, while all other attendees see the current speaker.  This prevents the active speakers from seeing themselves.  Any of the other attendees can manually switch between the active and last speaker streams.  They cannot simply choose video for any participant at anytime as the MCU is not sending that data to the attendees.

This is where a third-party conferencing bridge adds functionality to OCS as those hardware solutions are capable of embedding all active video participants (up to a certain number) so that participants will see multiple attendees at one time.  These solutions typically focus on the active speaker via window location (e.g. centered) or size (e.g. shown larger than other non-speakers).

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is that really supported out of the box by Lync Server?
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:05 PM
  • No, Lync users cannot select any camera they want to see as the MCU only sends the video for the active speaker and the previous speaker in the streams to all attendees.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I hope this is a limitation that changes soon with the advent of multiparty video solutions such as Google+'s Hangouts. It would be an killer app for many.

Surely it is up to user to be able to select the amount of feeds that there connection can handle. Just make sure that this is obvious to the user in the interface

Dave

Dave
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Jeff,

I'm bit confused about your statement. Is there any document from Microsoft that confirms the statement that "MCU only sends the video for the active speaker and the previous speaker in the streams to all attendees.". Any link would be really helpful to understand more about A/V MCU. I checked the RTP Stream sent to the Lync Client. I see only one feed from the Lync Server. Could you please provide more details if possible?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:54 PM
  • The capabilities of Hosted Live Meeting video, the OCS AVMCU, and the Lync AVMCU are all slightly different.  this article explains in detail how the AVMCU works in Lync: http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2011/06/22/vga-conferencing-in-lync-server-2010.aspx

For Lync the two streams are not sent simultaneously to all users, the MCU simple sends the appropriate stream to each participant.  Thus the active speaker's video is sent to everyone but the speaker themselves, while the MCU continues to send the previous speaker's video to the only active speaker.

When a RoundTable/CX5000 is in use then there is a second simultaneous video stream sent to all participants with the panoramic video.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Hello, Would you please recomend any hardware solutions that is capable of embedding all active video participants in the same so that participants will see multiple attendees at one time?.

Regards.

Mercedes Suarez

GTS

Mercedes
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Take a look at the Polycom RMX models of the RealPresence Universal Video Collaboration suite:

http://www.polycom.com/products/uc_infrastructure/realpresence_platform/universal_video_collaboration/index.html

By adding just a single RMX to your Lync deployment you can incorporate the 'Hollywood Squares' user experience which can support up to 16 different video participants in the same stream at one time, with many more additional participants receiving the same video stream.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Hi Shafaquat

Are you able to recommend a low cost 'round table panoramic device? (if indeed there is sucha thing as low cost version).

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:03 PM